Can souls be trapped in Mirrors...

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by lady_darklock, Oct 26, 2010.

1. lady_darklock Spirit

Message Count:
    I am just curious. I know some cultures believe that when a person passes away, they cover the mirrors in the home to prevent the spirit from being trapped.

And if it can, does the spirit remain confined to that particular mirror or does it move location when ever the mirror is moved or, say from room to room or home to home. Or perhaps is it location bound.

"You can't practice magick while you're looking down your nose at it. -movie- Practical Magic-
    Courtlyn likes this.
  2. banshee1 Ghost

Message Count:
    This is an Appalachia superstition but also practiced by others. It is said to cover the mirror when the person dies so that their soul will not be captured. Thus preventing entry into Heaven. IF they see themselves in a mirror they WILL be attached to THAT mirror forever!
    It is also said that the soul wanders at night, therefor some cover their mirrors before they go to bed. Some say mirrors are the Devils invention!
    Courtlyn and sureshot like this.
  3. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    Interesting.

There are stories, folklore mostly, and, yes, similarly like the previous post suggests, of this type of malevolence in the presence of mirrors where souls may pass while leaving the corporeal and be ensnared by their reflected presence. The ‘Brothers Grimm’ comes to mind, in “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” where a mirror is spoken to; “Mirror, mirror on the wall, . . ;“ and at times it [mirror] takes on the likeness of a gateway or archway, a mythic form of a door through which the soul may free itself passing to the “other-side,” an idea reproduced in “Alice Through the Looking Glass.” This is where it is thought that the custom of covering up mirrors or turning them to face the wall when someone in a household is near or transitioning from the corporeal. One would be hard pressed to exhaust the settings and nuanced associations the “mirror” has in its symbolism. Even in dreams it has significance. In magic and divination, they’re used differently; scrying, comes to mind.

In magic and divination, a mirror, glazed over surface, or even a calm water surface may serve the diviner or magician as a looking glass for their intended purpose. The scryer or divining magician are considered in control “of-the-use” of the mirror and not the content sensed from its use; not the other way round where folklore portends a less positive or negativism in association with and in the presence of mirrors - As if, not in control.

Nostradamus used the scrying method for divining and accounting for his many “quatrains.” He, in a manner of speaking, coded them [quatrains] so as not to be accused by the then powerful clergy of the church for heresy and evil magic or some such other absurdity. During his time, one could understand why the quatrains had a rhythm with their four lines each, yet not know the secretive message deliberately hidden in them then, especially, if some of the foreseen content of his quatrains involved something about the church itself, its clergy, and other less ordained dealings that would not go over well if generally known. I won’t go into details about the earth centered solar system or Galileo and other similar agendas. The clergy had difficulties with corruption then, too. One has to take into account, in context, the world as it was to these individuals mentioned since it was very different from today.

Mirrors, in China, are said to have an allegorical or hidden spiritual function toward happiness as well as protection against diabolical influences. Some Chinese legends suggest that there are “animals-in-the-mirror.”

Clearly, one may find them self-choosing a belief pattern to suit their needs from the many symbolic associations to the “reflective surface” of a mirror. Consider how the astronomer or astrologer would use the reflective surface of mirrors in their respective telescopes, in this case, a reflector telescope. Even the eyes are associated with this reflective concept and were once thought to be reflecting light outward as opposed to receiving light energy from without.

Enjoy exploring, or should I say, scrying for answers.

“To know so much, yet, lack remains; it is this level of ignorance to have dominion over. Choose not ignorance, for that which is, is more than the sum of its parts.” The future has taken root in the present – The past is done
  4. Screaming Pain Spirit

Message Count:
    I've always thought there was something more to mirrors than what meets the eye. They are the only way we can really look at ourselves, they reflect the opposite, so what we see is not exactly what everyone else sees.

I think that the line between our worlds is thinner through a mirror. Some people see apparitions behind them when they look into mirrors, like a window.
    I have even heard of specific mirrors being haunted; I have always been on the fence as to whether or not objects can be haunted, but I believe mirrors can.

One of the reasons why I think there might be an infinite number of dimensions is because when you hold two mirrors next to each other they reflect each other over & over & over & over & again. With reflects (pun intended!) the infinite number of dimensions there could be.

However, I don't think they are direct portals, more like windows.
    So a spirit being trapped in one I don't know.

-----------------------
    You might say that I'm sick of being lost in the crowd
    Courtlyn likes this.
  5. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    Opposing mirrors, as you mentioned, certainly have a mesmerizing effect as one peers at the reflection of a mirror reflecting the other mirror which continues to reflect the other mirror, and on and on. I have never been able to see what’s at the end of those reflections, not for lack of trying, either. It seems each time one changes position to do so, to see the end of the reflections, a new series of reflections take its place. Heh! Heh!

I recall where it was I noticed this anomaly of many reflections from opposing mirrors. It was in a dorm restroom where the mirrors were aligned above the sinks and rows of sinks faced away from each set of sinks. I must have spent an hour trying to see from different vantage points, the end of the reflections, until a couple of people stood wondering what I was looking for.

“To know so much, yet, lack remains; it is this level of ignorance to have dominion over. Choose not ignorance, for that which is, is more than the sum of its parts.” The future has taken root in the present – The past is done
  6. lady_darklock Spirit

Message Count:
    Thank you all for the wonderful Answers!!! It's always mystified me about a persons reflection and the theories of a parallel universe. But then again...that is another discussion entirely.

Once again, thank you for the insightful answers!

"You can't practice magick while you're looking down your nose at it. -movie- Practical Magic-
  7. Kurisu Spirit

Message Count:
    Slightly off topic.

But I was born and raised in Florida, my favorite spot to go to was St. Augustine...one day I decided to take my first ghost tour there.

(This is based off legend and varies depending on who you talk to or what you read)

The guide was talking about superstitions after death, he told us the man that founded his college, Henry Flagler (Flagler College) was a slightly eccentric and paranoid man. He wanted to get buried in St. Augustine along side his wife when he died, he requested that all the windows downstairs should be opened and the mirrors covered so his soul could escape cleanly. He ended up having an accident and dying and they sent him back to the college to stay until he could get buried, as he requested they opened the windows and left his body there.

A cleaning lady came by and closed all the windows because of the cold. And legend has it people witnessed a fog float towards a window, hit it and then sink into the floor and vanish. Supposedly you can see Henry Flagler's face in the marble at the entrance of the school.

[IMG]
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.- George Eliot
    Courtlyn likes this.
  8. lady_darklock Spirit

Message Count:
    Wow...

So his soul just sorta....bounced off a closed window and crumbled into the ground and now he's part of the marble work.

I guess you can't blame the woman. She didn't know his instructions and I don't suppose it was common knowledge to the help in those days.

It's sad though. He had a strong belief that he was going to be trapped in a mirror or building and low and behold... He's trapped in the marble.

Ironic

seen apon a time likes this.
  9. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    G'Mornin'!

I do believe there is more to mirrors and reflective surfaces than meets the eye, so to speak. I am not sure that they entrap souls, but I do believe spirits may be attracted to them for reasons known only to themselves. There are numerous anecdotal reports of 'reflections' in the mirror that are not evident in the room.

I wonder if a mirror used by a particular person for many years or throughout the lifetime, could absorb the energy of that person, over time. In a sense, peering into your face can be likened to peering into the soul, and that is essentially what we do when we stand in front of the mirror.

On the other hand, spirits may simply attach themselves to mirrors as they do to other items, and travel with these items as they move from owner to owner.

Muriel!

[IMG]
    seen apon a time and Courtlyn like this.
  10. AllSeeingEye Ghost

Message Count:
    Havent read this whole thread but I dont think souls can get trapped in mirrors however I like any object of course ghosts and souls can attach themselves to a mirror. One of my worst experiances was with a ghost girl who was attached to a victorian dressing table I had when I was about 10-12 (lasted 2 years before we got rid of the table). It had those 3 mirrors in it and I would face it sleeping and see her behind me - it was awful and severley effected my life for those two years.

A psychic lady came round and confirmed what I was seeing and said sometimes those 3 mirrors facing each other on a dressing table can sort of attract them but I cant remember specifically what she said. I just know I will never get a dressing table like that again that was old.
    Courtlyn likes this.
  11. lady_darklock Spirit

Message Count:
    Thank you Murlag and Allseeingeye for your insights on this topic.

Allseeingeye, I am sorry that you had that sort of experience. I know it's changed the way you look at a mirror, for sure.

Murlag I do agree with you on the issue of over time, that energy could get stored into a mirror and perhaps it could act as a recorder of sort. After all, our soul is staring right back at us and however we feel at the time, could very well leave an emotional imprint on its shimmery surface.

Courtlyn likes this.
  12. Mulder Spirit

Message Count:
    In the Jewish tradition of 'sitting Shiva', they only cover the mirrors to stop the mourners concerning themselves with their appearance, and it's not appropriate to look at ones self while trying to focus on a prayer directed to God.
    lady_darklock and Courtlyn like this.
  13. Spirit Chaser Spirit

Message Count:
    Real short answer to a simple question, you bet they can.
  14. Sekhlev Ghost

Message Count:
    My mom once told me that when her mom's sister passed away, at the time that she gave her last breath, all of the mirrors on her closet ( old fashioned closet/dresser where all doors were mirrors) shattered in pieces, without actually falling down. They just all cracked into tiny pieces, still stuck together. Could have been coincidence or not, but I always thought that was interesting bit of trivia :)

I once saw a black hooded figure ( I knew it was a man, didn't see any features) literally walk out of my closet mirror ( I hung a cheap mirror on my closet door) into my bedroom, stand there and watch me for a few seconds, then kept on walking along side the bed and vanished into thin air. Funny thing - I laid there in bed watching him watching me and don't ask me why I just laid there watching him - at that moment, didn't find this weird or scary, I actually turned around and went to sleep once he disappeared lol
    I told my boyfriend back then that lived 3 states over what I saw and he said he usually sees black hooded figures and other things stepping out of his mirror.

So yeah I don't know why the mirrors but still interesting :)
    lady_darklock and Courtlyn like this.
  15. georgek Spirit

Message Count:
    I think a lot of the replies...explains the myth behind this?

Many of these superstitions are Christian related and rely on demonology being the negative aspect of Christ!

The analogy with this one, is such that the mirror reflects 'LIGHT'.

As most souls are that of light, they get reflected back and because some poor soul may have been caught in the demise of reflection it becomes trapped! Ie:- 'darkness'

In Cyprus a lot of these superstitions are taken seriously. For example a newly born child is vulnerable as to be possessed by the devil, as it is not unusual for the mid-wife to spend three days in the nursery chanting prayers!

Many badly formed children were seen as possessed and many of the churches have these wax effigies of children for childless parents! It was not unusual for mid wives to have ropes as to strangle a child if she thought it was possessed! (mum recons the mid-wife had an 'off day' when I was born:eek:)

I am still suffering with 21st century Christianity today, as the church will often see any paranormal activity as demonic. (it's not changed much in ideas...only in actions )

George
  16. Courtlyn Ghost

Message Count:
    I really don't know about the whole mirror thing, but I do know that the Bloody Mary Mirror thing worked for me. That's most of my experiences with mirrors.
  17. Sekhlev Ghost

Message Count:
    Curious - how did the Bloody Mary worked for you?
  18. Courtlyn Ghost

Message Count:
    A friend and I saw a form in a mirror after the whole "beckoning" thing. It wasn't big and gruesome, but it appeared to be the bloody form of a girl. Three days later, her dog died and I got pneumonia so badly that I was hospitalized for 10 days with a chest tube.
  19. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    My Nana.. would never put a mirror on the wall.. but would put them inside the closets..full length..inside the doors.. and when the mirror was not being used, the door always had to be closed..Even the bathroom didn't have a mirror.. Grandfather had a shaving mirror, but it was always put away.
    She always said that spirits can live in mirrors, and when you were looking at it the spirit could not come out.. but it could if it was unattended, so to always shut the door, or put mirrors away.. never to leave them sitting out..Because they were portals.
    lady_darklock likes this.
  20. seen apon a time Spirit

Message Count:
    AllSeeingEye, post: 394751"]Havent read this whole thread but I dont think souls can get trapped in mirrors however I like any object of course ghosts and souls can attach themselves to a mirror. One of my worst experiances was with a ghost girl who was attached to a victorian dressing table I had when I was about 10-12 (lasted 2 years before we got rid of the table). It had those 3 mirrors in it and I would face it sleeping and see her behind me - it was awful and severley effected my life for those two years.

A psychic lady came round and confirmed what I was seeing and said sometimes those 3 mirrors facing each other on a dressing table can sort of attract them but I cant remember specifically what she said. I just know I will never get a dressing table like that again that was old.[/quote]

lol I have one of these old Mirrors in my room. a chest of draws and three mirror's