Can you really get possessed?

Discussion in 'Skeptic's Discussion' started by Khunter12, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Khunter12 Ghost

Message Count:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge believer in the paranormal, but I don't know if you can really get possessed. I hear about it all the time, but I'm just kind of a skeptic on it. I don't know what to think. :confused:
  2. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    I think most of the time it's caused by mental illness... Which seems like possession.. but I do believe it to be possible in some instances ..If someone was open enough to allow it to happen..
    I think this is possible.. because If a medium is able to be a cunduit.. and let a spirit speak through them.. then a person might allow a spirit in and they won't leave.. by mistake..
    Truly I don't know... but that's what I believe.
  3. guy fawkes Ghost

Message Count:
    Yes you can get possessed, and if you fail to pay the exorsist you can get re-possessed. Ok, just kiddin. Yes I believe you can be possessed but by what I'm not sure. Is it demons from hell or demons the person created. From what I have been able to learn over the last few years , demons have limited power on Earth. Their influence on a person is minor, but the persons susceptibility is the major factor. Take a person deeply entrenched in religion the mere mention of demons can cause them to stroke out. I on the other hand, although catholic, do not follow the foot steps of organized religion. Therefore , the occult and paranormal don't frighten me.
  4. Khunter12 Ghost

Message Count:
    I don't believe in heaven or hell, so I don't know. :/
  5. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:
    If you think of the actual meaning of possession, then yes, it's is more than capable of occurring. Copied and pasted from Merriam-Webster.com:

a: domination by something (as an evil spirit, a passion, or an idea)b: a psychological state in which an individual's normal personality is replaced by another

I’m not sure why people always assume the spirit, or entity, or energy that possesses a person has to be evil. In this industry, people channel, the automatic write. I do either one of those or both at least 3 times a week. That is a form of possession. It’s a granted possession, and it’s controlled, but it’s still possession.

So in my opinion, long story short, yes, I do believe that possession takes place more common than people assume. The problem lies within Hollywood and these pathetic television series that portrays possession as “demonic” and deadly. Now, there have been two cases that I was a part of in trying to assist the situation where we did consider the people to be possessed by something negative. What? I don’t know. All I know is an 11 year old mentally challenged boy who had yet to go through puberty couldn’t speak fluently in Latin, in a voice that was deeper than most men I know.
    Amael likes this.
  6. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:
    If you think of the actual meaning of possession, then yes, it's is more than capable of occurring. Copied and pasted from Merriam-Webster.com:

a: domination by something (as an evil spirit, a passion, or an idea)b: a psychological state in which an individual's normal personality is replaced by another

I’m not sure why people always assume the spirit, or entity, or energy that possesses a person has to be evil. In this industry, people channel, the automatic write. I do either one of those or both at least 3 times a week. That is a form of possession. It’s a granted possession, and it’s controlled, but it’s still possession.

So in my opinion, long story short, yes, I do believe that possession takes place more common than people assume. The problem lies within Hollywood and these pathetic television series that portrays possession as “demonic” and deadly. Now, there have been two cases that I was a part of in trying to assist the situation where we did consider the people to be possessed by something negative. What? I don’t know. All I know is an 11 year old mentally challenged boy who had yet to go through puberty couldn’t speak fluently in Latin, in a voice that was deeper than most men I know.
  7. james c Spirit

Message Count:
    I'm betting on no - I like the odds better.

jc
  8. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    There are many interpretations, dramatizations, and solutions (accepted patterns of belief that the faithful order their lives by) found on this phenomenon. Its evolution into the 21st Century continues to persist, yet, has no satisfactory explanation from anyone, only “a belief,” which stems from a belief system acquired through the individuals upbringing.

Understanding the “self” in relation to the phenomenon and its trials, tribulations, and suggestive visitations has merit, as it does limitations. My textual blurb put here, by way of a word processing application and an operating system mouse click, certainly makes it easy to be part of the discussion but seems only to put my “character” on trial. A windy branch to find oneself perched on, to be sure, and a branch that makes one wonder why “down” remains associated with gravity for this wingless bipedal being instead of the hell of the early clergy.

I learned long ago people are often squeamish about their character being “assassinated” through ridicule, deliberately being associated with they who are less than favorably accepted in public, and wondering whether they’re up to the word wrestling that this topic instigates. To some degree, I share their caution, not necessarily their belief system. I have also discovered that the “jury is still out” on this phenomenon and that “proof” is in the dictionary under “P.”

Experience(s) do not tell a story and have no set quantity of volumes attributed to them though the “experiencer” often has one or two that they could tell in volumes. In my opinion, this phenomenon (and those generally paranormal), like many others has a heuristic component attached to it that serves as an aid to learning, discovery, or problem solving through experience rather than theory.

Life has a heuristic component not unlike a commonsense rule (or set of rules) intended to increase the probability of solving some problem (or adapting to an environment) or accomplishing some goal. Life is its own answer among the influences of being. Assume as little as possible, if anything. For those that understand its [possession] implication in terms also understand something of the meaning of “NO” when it is confronted and of “YES” when sought.

“...To thine own self be true....” William Shakespeare
  9. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    There are many interpretations, dramatizations, and solutions (accepted patterns of belief that the faithful order their lives by) found on this phenomenon. Its evolution into the 21st Century continues to persist, yet, has no satisfactory explanation from anyone, only “a belief,” which stems from a belief system acquired through the individuals upbringing.

Understanding the “self” in relation to the phenomenon and its trials, tribulations, and suggestive visitations has merit, as it does limitations. My textual blurb put here, by way of a word processing application and an operating system mouse click, certainly makes it easy to be part of the discussion but seems only to put my “character” on trial. A windy branch to find oneself perched on, to be sure, and a branch that makes one wonder why “down” remains associated with gravity for this wingless bipedal being instead of the hell of the early clergy.

I learned long ago people are often squeamish about their character being “assassinated” through ridicule, deliberately being associated with they who are less than favorably accepted in public, and wondering whether they’re up to the word wrestling that this topic instigates. To some degree, I share their caution, not necessarily their belief system. I have also discovered that the “jury is still out” on this phenomenon and that “proof” is in the dictionary under “P.”

Experience(s) do not tell a story and have no set quantity of volumes attributed to them though the “experiencer” often has one or two that they could tell in volumes. In my opinion, this phenomenon (and those generally paranormal), like many others has a heuristic component attached to it that serves as an aid to learning, discovery, or problem solving through experience rather than theory.

Life has a heuristic component not unlike a commonsense rule (or set of rules) intended to increase the probability of solving some problem (or adapting to an environment) or accomplishing some goal. Life is its own answer among the influences of being. Assume as little as possible, if anything. For those that understand its [possession] implication in terms also understand something of the meaning of “NO” when it is confronted and of “YES” when sought.

“...To thine own self be true....” William Shakespeare
  10. duskshade Spirit

Message Count:
    I think two things need to happen in order to have a case of possession:
    1. you have to have your natural defenses compromised in some way
    2. you have to invite it in, in some way, shape, or form.

(My interpretation is below - not factual, just my understandingof the way this works - agree or not as you like)
    This idea bases itself on what I understand of spirituality. From my own experience, I have noted that humans are naturally defended from this kind of invasion, the same way your physical body is naturally safe from invasion. The openings in your body that are sites for invasion are guarded by muscles, chemistry, and teeth (not all of these are in the same place at the same time).

We get ill from an bacterial invasion, which can lead to opportunistic infections invading us. IF we take this natural example and translate it to a spiritual example, we should see similar things.

Our own spiritual openings are guarded, and it takes either a concerted violent forcing, or leaving one open, to allow this type of spiritual domination. Once this occurs, your own spiritual energy can resist the invasion, or be taken down.

IMHO, for someone to be possessed, there has to be willing surrender and invitation, or they must be broken in some way, spiritually or psychically. Your own healthy mentality and spirit should provide a natural defense, like your own immune system.
  11. sandiegohaunted Ghost

Message Count:
    I don't believe in possesion of mind body or spirit. Mental illness is more likely.
  12. Tantric Kitten Spirit

Message Count:
    My thoughts exactly.
  13. Darryl109 Ghost

Message Count:
    DDSG,

This is an interestingly logical concept. However, there are some exceptions that I have found a long the way which are not voluntarily open to possession.

Coming back to the idea of compromization of the mental body as opposed to the physical body; which reflects any break down. It becomes a little murkier, and finer threads need to be sorted through.

If someone is an Empath, their mental and physical bodies are always open to infection, and compromization from many sources. Most Empaths have some kind of nerological connuption, or a mental one. Empaths can feel something that happened 300 years ago if they stand on just the right spot in a church or home. It is relfected back at them through the Empath ability, using the senses.

An Empath with manic depression, schitzophrenia or any other number of disorders, are people who cannot cope, and often are open and because they are so sentitive, and powerful seem to be possessed of another spirit.

It can be fixed, and quickly, but it is just a good think to realize that this can happen. Very few ghosties will delberately try to possess...mostly they only want to be noticed so that they can be assisted to the Light, or to get a message accross to someone in particular before they go.

I have been working with these people and the spirits who are accused of possessing for well over 30 years, closer to 40. And in all of the research, there has never, ever been one that has not been successfull.

Blessings
  14. duskshade Spirit

Message Count:
    Empaths, whether with mental illnesses or not, are at higher risk if the empath has not developed his/her own shielding and protection. much like a person who is susceptible to illnesses based on a disorder. In fact, it would still fit into the idea of the spiritual echoing the physical (or vice versa if you like) because a mental illness would function the same way in the spiritual body as a deficiency in the physical body (analogous to something like hemophilia, or an immune disorder).

I do not agree that empaths are particularly powerful individuals. In fact, most people have some empathic abilities, but real empaths (I've met exactly one) tend to be shielded well, and worn down by their talent.

I agree that ghosts do not really attempt to possess - it takes a powerful will and a lot of energy to assert yourself over someone else. Take a fight - that base physical effort of beating someone down is hard - this is why fighters train constantly. It would take a being with some serious spiritual energy to beat down a natural defense.

What research about possession and unsuccessful results? A little clarity and explanation would be good.

best
    ds
  15. duskshade Spirit

Message Count:
    Thank you for that comment, but is serves nothing. I would have like to see you anticipate that people would be irritated seeing a short, nonexplanatory comment and say something about why you think so.

We caught that you are skeptical. That is good. Skepticism is healthy. But why dismiss the phenomenon? Based on what?

Try [url="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7608670259662460227&q=demon+possession+exorcism&total=393&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3" target=_blank]this video. [/url]My question would be how this experience resolved this situation instead of medication and therapy, which is the standard way to treat mental illness.

Pat answers answer nothing, except the question of whether or not a quick answer is better than thinking honestly about something.
  16. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    I think it's possible. But. Like Sandy, I think that it's mostly caused by suggestion or mental illness. I'm not a psychologist, but I'd suspect psychosis over "evil spirits" any day. It might also be noted that the demons exorcised from people are not always separate from them. I saw demons of alcoholism and adultery exorcised from people on a few "tv special programs". People want to be exorcised and technically -from an animistic standpoint- they are. Give something a name and you give it a spirit.

From another standpoint, there's willful possession. This is a practice in certain occult paths where you invite a spirit into yourself. It's a very powerful practice. Uncomfortable, but powerful.
  17. DonnaBrazee Spirit

Message Count:

We often think of Possessed as Evil which isnt the case. Think of the meaning of the word possess. It means to take over inhibit, to have. When a Spirit needs to perform a certin task weather its good or Evil Spirit, it needs to move into a Physical body to complete said task. So it occupies a Physical body. It usually uses the body until its mission is completed and then it moves on. Evil Spirits dont move on so easily they most likely will have to be driven out with an Exorcism.
  18. Bobinator Ghost

Message Count:
    Demon possession is very possible, but is quite rare. What isn't rare is a person having demons. I believe the proper term for this is "demonized". I've participated in casting demons out of people and places on many occasions, and I have never met a person who didn't have a demon of some sort. No offense here, but that's my understanding. Having a spirit or spirits doesn't mean you're possessed. But it does mean your thought life will be influenced in some way.

I have also encountered people who had spirits of other people living in them as well. What's common is spirits of aborted or sometimes miscarried babies still in the mother. On a few ocassions, I've encountered spirits of grown people living in and thru someone else, sometimes a relative. They don't possess you, but can give you some rather strange thoughts and/or desires which they had when they were alive.

For example, if you had a spirit of a deceased alcoholic or heavy smoker residing within you, you might have occassional tendencies to wanna drink or smoke, or even make you into an alcoholic or smoker. This is not to say that all smokers or alcoholics have earthbound spirits in them.
  19. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    In Jewish mysticism, this is actually allowed by God (again, in their belief). It's kind of their version of "purgatory"... kind of.
  20. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    I actually like the idea of people exorcizing personal flaw demons. It's analogous to the Ceremonial Magic idea of banishing impure elemental influences (like in the Lesser and Greater Banishing rituals of the Pentagram).

It adds an element of proactive personal development that (if done well) is nothing but healthy.

In Enochian magic, the practitioner actually isolates and binds those "personal demons" to their will. The same goes for some versions of "Solomonic" (i.e. greater and lesser key of...) magic. Only in the latter case, the demons are bound in God's name. Then they are sent out to perform errands for the magician.