Difference between ghosts and demons

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by arc angel, May 26, 2006.

1. arc angel Ghost

Message Count:
    Can anyone tell me how to differeniate between ghosts and demons? Is it just a feeling you get?

When you see or sense a spirit, is there anyway to tell?

Just curious,

Arc angel

[IMG]
    live and let live
  2. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    There's no real way, unless you're familiar with their vibe.
  3. RobbY_BisHoP Ghost

Message Count:
    theres only one way to figure that out..& that would be to become possesed...ghosts dont posses people from what i understand..but demons do....

the only other way to try & figure that out would be to study the occult...H.P. Luvcraft is a good place to start with that..his storys are intresting & derive from mostley fact contrairy to what most idiots believe..

however...that would be the only 2 ways i know of..to determine the difference between a demon & a ghost..although i think a demon would dirrectley interact with you ..& from my understanding of the occult & religions i've studied..they seem to mess with your mind..& show particular intrest in the host or persons they are messing with...where as a ghost will just remain in its familar surroundings ..from time to time ghosts do tend to follow a person they feel attatched to for whatever reason ..from one house to the next..but will always return to there former place of dwelling...as far as i know demons dont stay in the same place...they continuously move ..but i've never expierenced one first hand so i have no idea...[}:)]

[IMG]
  4. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Anything can possess anything else. I'm skeptical of any sort of test based on that.

Lovecraft? You mean with Cthulhu and the butchered Sumerian? Iiiiii'd start with something more like Franz Bardon... you know.. a known occultist... not someone who openly made fun of the whole scene (like Lovecraft)
  5. RobbY_BisHoP Ghost

Message Count:
    he didnt actually make fun of it...he simply placed most of these facts in fiction based form but noteably took most of his works from facts based on the golden dawn exct....I know alot about that..i've read some of his storys..& yes the one with cithulu..exct...

on a side note i dont believe any entity can posses a persons..i've never heard of a Ghost or spirit actually possesing somebody..physically attackin yes..as in a poltergiest...but never actually possessing..show me somewhere it says that & i'll believe you

[IMG]
  6. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hello..

In its most basic terms:

A GHOST is the disembodied spirit of a once living person. This spirit can be earthbound because of something beyond its control, perhaps things left undone in life or confusion about its present state, especially if death were sudden and traumatic. Others turn up as 'visitations', they freely slip from the spirit realm to this one and back again. In all cases, these spirits were at one time living, breathing persons.

A DEMON is a malevolent spirit that was never human.

As for possession, both these entitites have this ability.

Muriel!

[IMG]
  7. RobbY_BisHoP Ghost

Message Count:
    i dont believe so i've never heard of one documentated case ..or never heard anybody tell a story of a ghost using possesion ..

ghost are prone to attacks in physical form but not actually possses the person ..

[IMG]
  8. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Afternoon!

I am referring to instances when spirits take possession of a medium, with permission of course, and use the facalities of that medium to communicate.

M!
  9. RobbY_BisHoP Ghost

Message Count:
    well i can understand that..but i've never seen it actually done ..or heard anything about it..so i'm on even ground there...

but when i say poessession i mean actual possession mindy body & soul...anyways..i'll let yall carry on lol

[IMG]
  10. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hello..

'Carrying on' is an excellent plan..

I have not actually seen this either, happily. But I do not doubt for a moment that it is possible. In the case of an experienced medium, s/he is in control, dictating the rules. The entity is occupying her body WITH HER PERMISSION..

I am sure that there have been instances where a medium has to strongly request that an aggressive spirit back off..

Muriel!
  11. Thelea Ghost

Message Count:
    My expertice! :)

Ghosts vs demons
    - ghosts are spirits of the dead (souls)
    - demons are evil nature spirits
    - ghosts rarely harm anyone
    - demons don't hesitate to hurt
    - ghosts give a sad, maybe angry sensation; demons don't.

Identification:
    - if you can see auras: demons have kind of smoke screen around them; ghosts however have a kinda "echo" in the aura. faint colours.
    - if you can't see auras: ghosts always look like humans (or animals, depending the being), but demons (even in human form) have some sings to identify them. these are: sulphuric stench (could be faint, but it's there), pressurising feeling, animal's reaction (dogs cats birds avoid them)
    - red eyed human=demon (not a ghost)

Sensing:
    - ghost was a human once, so you shouldn't sense too much pressure

Getting rid of:
    - demons: imprisoning inside an object, bansihing (temporary, from 1 year to centuries)
    - Ghosts: helping them to move on. however, also they can be bound to an object.

Possession: ghosts can try to occupy a body, but they can never gain full control of it. Also the motive to possess is different. ghosts may try it only to communicate or to help someone, demons do it to harm someone.

[IMG]
    --------------------
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
  12. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    There actually are no documented cases of either. Yes, people believe that a demon possessed a particular person, but that's just the observer's own bias coming in. There is very little evidence to suggest that posession phenomena is anything other than psychological.

I like to pull out a quote in the Exorcist (the book) in cases such as this. It goes something along the lines of "just enough, Father... Just enough to make you doubt." You'll never know for sure whether a spirit is a demon, ghost, or psychotic break. Having said that, there is nothing in metaphysical theory that would prevent a human spirit from possessing anyone. Theoretically, therefore, they can do so. Whether they desire to do so is up to the disembodied person. Just because a group of people chooses not to dance does not mean that people in general cannot dance.

Auras are a very subjective phenomena. They rely upon your brain translating psychic information into visual information. And being that psychic information has to go through the person's perceptual "filter", any colors that appear are highly subjective (i.e. unreliable in an empirical sense).

I don't think that we can any conclusive information (however tentative said conclusions may be) based on the little statistical information we have on spirit folk. To say that "ghosts behave this way while demons behave this way" is superstitious at best. I have personally observed both entities behaving like the other. Both are sentient and will behave accordingly. They can be petty, they can be loving, they can be cruel and they can be jealous- just like everyone else.

While there is no objective way to tell which is which, you will develop your own personal ways of distinguishing between various entities (should you choose to do so).

In the spirit world, where anything can look like or behave anything else, consensus (a hot topic around here) is impossible.

P.S.- Just because someone researches Occult Societies for their book does not make them authoritative on the subject. H.P. Lovecraft was a fiction writer. There are a lot of holes in his "magic" that will really confuse the curious amateur occult researcher.
  13. arc angel Ghost

Message Count:
    Thanks to all for your responses. I have never had an interaction with ghosts or demons, and i have no intention to seek one. I am just curious at this stage. I think i'll search Frantz Bardon on amazon.com. Maybe buy a book. Seems like a good place to start. Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

[IMG]
    live and let live
  14. Firey maiden Spirit

Message Count:
    Demons are usually solid figures, hidden in shadow or such. Ghosts are transparent. But if you can't see either, theres no way to know what it is. THey're both pretty freaky anyway

"I don't like that plan, it sucks"

[IMG]

join my website
    http://fireymaiden.proboards29.com/index.cgi
  15. Thelea Ghost

Message Count:
    Firey maiden, not all ghosts are transparent nor all demons appear solid.

I checked any cases of possession by demons (many confirmed by various professional sources) and "spectral possession". In latter case it's difficult to identify a actual case in which a ghost is trying to get inside a living person from any other possible explanation (mental illness, demonic possession, simple ESP). By demonic possession I don't mean the one potrayed in Exorcist. In demonic possession, it's almost impossible to tell if someone's possessed. It's rare that a demon can make someone do something against their very heart. A person who would never hit another person.. Even demons can't make them hit someone.

Aura itself is multilayered, and not everyone can see or interpret them all. I can see them all (natural) but I can't interpret all layers. That is just how I've seen aura of a demon and that of a ghost.

I have encontered countless ghosts and I've heard from others how they usually behave. Same goes with demons. Of course I've met lot less demons than ghosts, but still.

[IMG]
    --------------------
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
  16. felicialuv Ghost

Message Count:
    its hard to tell. If its a ghost or a demon.

Oh, goddes of love and beauty ,
    help me to fall in love again..
    My heart is in vained,
    releaved me in pain..