Haunted Okinawa, Japan

Discussion in 'Ghost Stories' started by sharks98, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sharks98 Ghost

Message Count:
    This is my first post here and I'm wanting to share some stories with you about the military bases in Okinawa, Japan. For those of you who have been stationed here before I'm sure you heard of the stories. I myself haven't experienced ghost here yet but have experience in other places.

The first ghost story I heard when I got here was the haunted house in Kadena airforce base. It is right behind the USO and next to the child development center. The story goes the place is built on ancient grounds and that 2 families that lived there have died the same way. almost like amytiville. The husband kills wife and children then himself. Same with the other family. It is also rumored that sometimes when the children play in the playground they end up looking through the gates and is talking to someone. Today I passed by the house myself and the house is boarded up pretty good and is only used for storage.

This story happens at camp hansen in okinawa. This marine base is located up north of the island. Marines refuse to guard this gate because a ghost soldier comes up to them and ask for a cigarrette and a light. by the time the marine or japanese security hands them the light the ghost soldier dissappears and the cigarette is half smoked.

Near the futenma air station marine base is a park that is said to be one of the most haunted places on okinawa. many of the locals refused to go there even during day light. The locals say it is another plain or a vortex of some sort. I will post more update on this place. I know a few people who are going to do ghost hauntings on feb9th.

Well that's all for now. I will post later on. thanks for reading.
  2. mamaloves2 Spirit

Message Count:
    Hi Sharks,

I have enjoyed reading your stories and will look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for sharing with us.
  3. sharks98 Ghost

Message Count:
    Your welcome!! I just wished I would've found this forum sooner :D
  4. rshell73 Ghost

Message Count:
    Hi Sharks,
    I too am in Okinawa and been to the Kadena site ,I took lots of pics and nothing .Maybe not sensitive enough or just over eager. I did recently go t o the Royal Red Inn by Foster and took some pics .Take a look at them I posted them in the gallery . My kids and I are going to all the places in Jane book just to check out things.I have apost on Introductions and Ghost stories.I hear that the dental clinic there on Hansen is haunted aswell do you know of this?
  5. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    Glad to have found this forum! I have a TON of ghost stories from Okinawa, Japan to share. I was stationed on Okinawa for three years and change. Since I don't have the time to post all in one night, I will share one with you now, and others as time goes on. I'll share them in no particular order, since I feel none are related directly to one another, except geographically.

Shortly after September 11th, 2001, I was assigned to lead a security force guarding the Transmitter Site at Awase, a short distance from Kadena Air Base. This is the site of most of my experiences. Anyway, my team was 22 personnel, standing 8 hours on, 8 hours off shifts. Yeah, that sucked, but it really was the best way, since you got 8 hours sleep every 8 hours! So we were split up into two ten person teams, with me and my counterpart "floating". (Since I was in charge, i had to monitor both teams.) For those of you who have not been there, Awase T-site is located on a peninsula, so most of the fenceline is bordering water. Since no attacks were expected from sea, it was an easy thing to defend against land attack. One gate, wich was locked 24/7, opened only to let the personnel who worked there in to do thier jobs.

One night, on patrol, at about 0100(1:00am) I get a radio call: "Boss, Patrol 6 is checking out a possible intruder on the south fenceline." (the only part of the base that is attached to land is the east fencline) I say:"Roger, let me know when you have him". They say OK and I wait. Patrols were numbered, and the two people in the patrol were numbered also. So Patrol 6 would contain two people, called Six-One and Six-Two, with the senior person having the "One". I was in charge, so I was just "One", or "Boss". Anyway, I can see the lights of the patrol Jeep Cherokee heding towards the South fence. They get there and I lose sight of them behind some jungle. I get the call "We have him in sight and...." Not being the patient type att he time and given the circumstances, my reply was a gruff "WELL?!?!? and what?" Then I get a VERY shaken young sailor (Six-Two) on the radio "Boss can you come out here? NOW?" Well when one of your guys sounds like that (you military and cops know this tone) you haul your a*s over there NOW without asking questions. Me and my partner do just that and arrive to find the young sailor standing in the middle of the road, M-16 locked and loaded, pointed into the jungle, and he was VERY twitchy. Not wanting to write the report for accidental discharge, I gently place my hand on his shoulder and with my other hand attempted to place his rifle on SAFE. It was already on SAFE. He still didn't put it down. It was as if he was unaware of what I had done, though he was watching me do it. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Where is Six-One?
    Six-Two: In there(gesturing into the patch of jungle, where we can hear someone walking around)
    Me: OK, put your rifle down were going to get him.
    62: He has the radio
    Me(On radio to his partner Call Sign "Six-One"): 61 where are you?
    61: South fenceline, searching for intruder.
    Me: OK, come out of there, lets' stick with the partner system.
    61: Roger on my way.

At this point, the person in the jungle started moving towards us, so we assumed it was my Young Sailors partner, Six-One. Then Six-One made his presence known - BEHIND us. He was actually all the way up against the fence, found a hole, and squeezed through to the other side and over the wall where we couldn't see him right away. He scared the sh*t out of all of us, and we quickly refocused our attention back to the disturbance in the small patch of jungle. All our flashlights came out and then the young sailor said "don't worry about the flashlights, you can see him without them". I thought that was an odd comment, and thought I had just heard him wrong. I was to find out later that i hadn't. We searched the patch of jungle(flashlights on), which wasn't very big at all, and came up with nothing. I asked for an explanation, and got it:

"We were walking out of the vehicle when 61 said he saw the hole in the fence. I was looking at the person we initially saw, while 61 went to check out the hole. I then realized that the person I was looking at was in military uniform, and carrying a rifle! I got my own rifle up and the guy moved into the jungle patch, although I didn't see his legs moving, and then I realized that I really couldn't see his legs at all. At the same time I also realized that I no longer had my light on him, but I could still see him, like he was glowing a little bit. At first when he went into the jungle patch he didn't make any noise at all, and I was making all kinds of noise while trying to be quiet. Then he disappeared. Not behind anything, he just disappeared. That's when I figured I might be seeing a ghost. That's when I called you on the Chrokee's radio. I think I don't want night duty anymore."

It wasn't over. Literally two seconds later a shaken Patrol 4 reported an intruder in "an old army uniform carrying a rifle" walked right in front of their parked Jeep and subsequently disappeared. Patrol 4 was all the way acrosss the base from us. We couldn't have driven over there that fast let alone walked. I figured two sightings in one 10 minute span was enough and called for all Patrols to meet at the gate. Everyone told their version of the story, and all patrols resumed normally. No more sightings were reported this night, but I was to find out that this was going to be the first in a string of experiences there on the Awase Transmitter Site.
  6. theburningred Spirit

Message Count:
    I think Japanese hauntings are cool. Great stories folks.
  7. annagain Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Great story MomoJoe! Do tell more!
  8. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    This one happened in broad daylight. Names have been changed due to not being able to contact them to ask if I can use them in my stories.

During guard duty after Sept 11, 2001, I was assigned a 22 paerson security detail to guard Awase Transmitter Site. You know all this from the last story, though. My partner Gretchen (fake name still fits if you are conjuring a mental image of a 6 foot German woman with a "take no sh*t" attitude) was putting laundry from washer to dryer, and I was cleaning her M-16. Nothing was happening, so to let my troops sleep, we were washing the uniforms of the team that was sleeping. All patrols were as normal, and Gretchen and I were the only ones within 100 yds of the laundry building.

A bit about the laundry building: It is long and narrow, a 50 ft long rectangle with no windows, only doors on each end of the rectangle, so to walk in one door and out the other meant you walked the length of the building. Inside, there was nowhere to hide. If you walked in either door, you would have a clear view of the entire interior. It was definitely NOT a building to retreat to if under fire!

Anyway, I finished Gretchen's M-16, put it back together and gave it back. She checked it, loaded it and slung it over her shoulder. I suggested a smoke break, a joke since she didn't smoke, but she would usually accompany me since my standing orders were to stay with your partner at all times. If you were of the same sex, you even took your bathroom breaks at the same time, in the same bathroom. I would be ineffective as a leader were I to break my own orders! However, since I would only be right outside the door and she had another load to put in the washer, I went out myself. Both doors were latched open (with hook and eye fasteners) for ventilation, and I went out the door to Gretchens left, which was also the door furthest from her. She was only a few feet inside the other door, and I didn't want my smoking bothering her. I lit up, took a few puffs, and then heard Gretchen say something. I stuck my head around the corner and said "What did you say?" and Gretchen whirled around like I had poked her with my Taser! She spun so fast it startled me, and I was looking right at her!

A bit about "Gretchen". I picked Gretchen as my partner for two reasons: 1. Because she was the most junior in rank, so she was stuck with me anyway, And 2. Because she was totally unflappable. This is the person that you could sneak up behind and yell BOO and she wouldn't even flinch. I have personally roused her from a dead sleep on numerous occasions, and she had the rare capability to go from dead alseep to fully functional with ZERO transition. To put it a different way, if you were the enemy, and you were underestimating Gretchen, it would be fatal to you 100% of the time! She is completely in control of all her senses, all the time.

I said "What happened?!?!" and she said, "How did you get there so fast?" I said "What do you mean, I went out there to have a smoke, YOU SAW ME GO OUT!" She says "Yeah, but right after you went out, as I was leaned over this washer getting some change out of the bottom, I distinctly heard you walk back in and go out this door" And she pointed to the door on her right, which she was only a few feet from. I said "Nope, I was out there the whole time" She said "Come on, this building isn't that wide, it had to have been you!" Again I flatly denied it. It simply wasn't me. So after a few seconds of staring at each other, we pulled out our pistols and did a complete perimeter search of the building, inside and out. Nothing. Here's the kicker: After searching the perimeter of the building, I was standing in the frame of one door, holstering my pistol. Gretchen was in front of me, inside the building, doing the same. I lit another cigarette, and Gretchen immediately let me know that the breeze was blowing my smoke into the building. Apologizing, I took two steps backwards, outside the building. Shortly after, the door at the other end of the building closed. Gretchen went pale, and I felt a distinct chill, even though it was 80-something degrees F that day. The door didn't slam, or creak, or do anything you might imagine from a horror movie, it just closed. Against the breeze. When it was latched open (no doorstop), with a hook and eye. Gretchen was 35 feet from it and I was outside. We tried to recreate that and couldn't. I have doubt's that it was the wind, though I attribute the chill I felt on my neck to the fact that the breeze was behind me, blowing on my neck, and I was sweating. Not to any paranormal occurance. I still cant explain the door though...
  9. kassh Ghost

Message Count:
    Keep them coming! These are great!!
  10. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    One of many odd occurences that I heard about on Okinawa, but didn't personally experience was the "ghost jumpers" at the suicide cliffs on Okinawa. There is some dispute as to why both civilians and soldiers jumped off these cliffs to their deaths. One story is that the general in charge of Japanese forces on Okinawa ordered his soldiers to "take the honorable way out" and die rather than surrender, and to ensure that no Okinawan civilian was captured. Another version is that the Japanese were told that, if captured by the Americans, they would be tortured and killed in horrible fashion. Whatever the reason, thousands of people jumped off just about any cliff that was high enough, often within sight of American soldiers, who couldn't (or wouldn't) make them stop. The people of Okinawa realized much too late that the American soldiers would treat them humanely.

Anyway, there are many stories about people witnessing a person jumping off the cliff, and upon rushing to the edge (carefully), they would see no evidence of a person. Likewise, others reprt standing on the edge of a cliff and feeling like someone goes by them off the cliff. I have been to these cliffs, and have seen the memorials, but I have never experienced these feelings. However, some of my friends have, and they are not the ones that are prone to making these things up!

At any rate, sorry no posts for a while, I will have more. Promise...
  11. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    One of many odd occurences that I heard about on Okinawa, but didn't personally experience was the "ghost jumpers" at the suicide cliffs on Okinawa. There is some dispute as to why both civilians and soldiers jumped off these cliffs to their deaths. One story is that the general in charge of Japanese forces on Okinawa ordered his soldiers to "take the honorable way out" and die rather than surrender, and to ensure that no Okinawan civilian was captured. Another version is that the Japanese were told that, if captured by the Americans, they would be tortured and killed in horrible fashion. Whatever the reason, thousands of people jumped off just about any cliff that was high enough, often within sight of American soldiers, who couldn't (or wouldn't) make them stop. The people of Okinawa realized much too late that the American soldiers would treat them humanely.

Anyway, there are many stories about people witnessing a person jumping off the cliff, and upon rushing to the edge (carefully), they would see no evidence of a person. Likewise, others reprt standing on the edge of a cliff and feeling like someone goes by them off the cliff. I have been to these cliffs, and have seen the memorials, but I have never experienced these feelings. However, some of my friends have, and they are not the ones that are prone to making these things up!

At any rate, sorry no posts for a while, I will have more. Promise...
  12. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    Here I was on a standard police patrol in 1999. We were all waiting for the Y2K bug to destroy us and cut off our ability to use computers. Anyway, my partner Lisa(not her real name) and I were driving in our standard Navy issue patrol car, when we got called to Camp Sheilds, a Navy SeaBee base close to Kadena Air Base. The call was for a quiet hours violation. All Navy barracks are on what is called "quiet hours" between 10pm and 6am or something close to that, every night so that people can sleep. It was currently 2:30am. We met the caller at the lobby of the building, and she took us up to her deck, where we could clearly hear the stereo thumping out some very loud rap.
    We knocked.
    No answer. Of course not, the music is too loud. So I took out my flashlight and really gave the door a good beating.
    No answer. Hmmmm...
    I told Lisa to go and get the barracks watch from the other barracks and get the master key. She made it about two feet, and the music stopped. End of the song. So I rap the door a good one again.
    No answer. Lisa moves again as the next song starts. As soon as she goes down the steps, a female sailor comes out of another room down the hall, and the original caller immediately knew who it was. She went up to her and told her that her stereo was on, and was too loud. She got this confused look on her face, and became further confused when she saw that I was the Navy's version of a cop. I snag her ID and begin the questioning, while she is opening her door and cutting off the stereo.
    Me: So Petty Officer, why is your stereo up to 11 at 0230?
    Her: I didn't turn it on. I have been visiting my friend down the hall since about 2300(11pm).
    Me to caller: What time did you get irritated enought to call?
    Caller: 0200(2am), pretty much as soon as she turned it on.
    Hmmm...
    So I walk down to the friends room, and she confirms that the stereo girls story is true, they were watching movies since 2300. OK whatever, just don't do it again, people need to sleep. All concerned say OK and I get ready to go. As we were all walking back to the stairs, I call Lisa back to me, she says she's on the way, and the music starts again. I look at the original caller and she gives me this look that says, "See, she won't listen to you either!" So we go back to the rrom and this time the door is opn a crack and I push it open to see stereo girl pushing the off button. Nothing is happening, so I grab the handy remote and try to kill the volume, at least.
    Nothing.
    I reach over to turn it down with the pushbuttons on the stereo itself.
    Nothing.
    I push the OFF button.
    Nothing. Odd, since I had watched her use this button to turn off the stereo just 3 minutes ago.
    So I grab the plug and unplug it.
    For one fleeting second I thought that this wasn't going to work either, but it did, and there was again quiet.
    I say, "Your stereo is obviously broken, do not plug it back in"
    She says, "No sweat, but I didn't touch it. It came on by itself"
    Me(Eyeing her with my best "I don't believe you" look): Whatever...just don't plug it back in until you get it fixed.
    She says OK and I get back on my radio and again call Lisa back to me. She says she is checking out a guy hiding in the bushes around the female barracks. Of course, just what we need tonight, a Peeping Tom on top of the noise disturbance. Well, at least I may get to arrest someone. SO I run down three decks and out into the space between the male and female barracks. The first person I run into is Lisa. She says that she thought she saw someone, but there was nobody there and she didn't see anyone run out. We did a quick search of the bushes between the buildings, and turned up nothing. While we were going back to the car, we heard something in the bushes. Another search turned up nothing. There was no wind that night either. Now, there are a lot of critters on Okinawa that could make noise, but mostly all of them will avoid humans. Besides, Lisa said that she saw a person, not a critter. So another search, this time from either end to cut off any real escape routes.
    Nothing. Again.
    We go back tto the car and leave without further incident. Later, some of the SeaBees told me that they had heard stories about unexplained stuff happening in the area of the barracks, and they attribute it to the fact that Okinawa may well be the most haunted island in existence, since hundreds of thousands of people died there during World War 2. the whole island is only 60miles from tip to tip, so that isn't a lot of room.
    Who knows, maybe a WW2 GI was trying to sneak a peek!
  13. Beanie Ghost

Message Count:
    These are great stories, need to read the one below now :)

14. Beanie Ghost

Message Count:
    These are great stories, need to read the one below now :)

15. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    Already posted that on page one
  16. momojoe Ghost

Message Count:
    As an aside(since I read the Truth or Fiction post), the stories I relate on GP are true as far as I know. Although it is obvious just from reading my posts that I have never personally seen any of this, you could say I "just missed" a few times. I have no reason to disbelieve the stories, as the people that were telling me these things(sometimes just seconds after it happened) have no reason to lie to me. In the Awase stories, these people were ready to kill or die to protect the base. A situation like this, for some reason, keeps people from telling too many tall tales. Besides, most of the sightings were in keeping with the overall "theme" of Japanese or US soldiers still walking around Okinawa from WWII.

Unfortunately, aside from a few times when I was sure I wasn't alone, I have never actually SEEN anything paranormal. This is stated in another of my posts elsewhere on this board.
  17. Dark_Tiger77 Ghost

Message Count:
    wow momojoe, great stories! you should start your own individual thread and tell us more stories! :D
  18. acidcrash Ghost

Message Count:
    I will give my personal scoop on the place outside of Futenma.

An ex-girlfriend told me the place was haunted in 97, she would never get out of the car when we went there. She is now a professional psychic here in Okinawa.
    In 98, I went there with some friends of mine. All of us were nonbelievers. As you enter the park, there is a spring with some ruins on the left. There is a door to nowhere in the middle of the wall of the ruins. Behind the door is mountain/jungle running at about a 30-45 deg angle up to MCAS Futenma fencline. There is nothing else.
    The story as relayed to me was that some young kids took shelter there during the war. They were subsequently killed during the battle. They had a lantern, some bits of food, and fresh water provided from the spring.
    IF YOU KNOCK ON THE DOOR, THE TWO BOYS WILL APPEAR FOR WHATEVER REASONS. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS, PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL!!
    I did it with my friends. Here is my experience.
    It was about 1030 pm. A buddy of mine approached the door and knocked on it. Nothing. He then pounded on it. I then saw what appeared to look like a red L.E.D. coming down the slope through the jungle towards the door.
    Needless to say, I shat myself, and pointed it out to my friends. They shat themselves. We began to apologize to whatever or whoever and hightailed it home.
    All of us lived in the barracks VERY close to this park on the other side of the fenceline. One of the people that was with us was convinced something had followed her home. She said that her vaccuum turned itself on (unplugged) and began moving around the room. She was so upset, that she a Chaplain come and exorcize her barracks room.
    Needless to say, we all changed our views that night.
    I went back the next day to see if there was anywhere a person could have walked behind the door on the slope. I saw no evidence (i.e. tracks, broken twigs, etc.) I have never tried to repeat it, but I have been back to the park many times.

I have also been told by many locals, that lightening bugs are only seen in places that are haunted in Okinawa. I will agree they are rare here, and the only time I see lightening bugs are in some really creepy places.
  19. sharks98 Ghost

Message Count:
    Hi guys,

haven't been online lately but now i'm back. Next week wed i'll be going on this tour its a sites and spooky tour its a tour where they take you to the popular haunted places in Okinawa. I will post updates and pictures hopefully i can capture something but i just wanted to let you know. till then...
  20. mprice24029 Ghost

Message Count:
    Hey I know the house your talking about on Kadena. I just posted a thread that mentioned that. In 2001 I believe they opened that house up for the public for Halloween, then boarded it back up. I left in 2002 and been wanting to go back to explore it a lot more since I couldn't drive when I was on the island. Check out my thread. Haunted house on Camp Foster. Thanks.