I'm to get Septoplasty/Turbinate Surgery...for function

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Jolly, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jolly Spirit

Message Count:
    ...and not aesthetics.
    (This is a rant)
    I've been noticing recently just how crooked my nose really is close up and in front of the mirror.
    [IMG]
    Our most recent photos from a film shoot, as we were extras (Zombies) from a really low grade, student film, called "Pedestal"

AND I DON'T CARE!

But to me it's not really a big deal, the whole cosmetic side of it. Just like my PRK I had last year, it's increasing my function. I couldn't see past my arm to read anything (glasses presciption was like 400)...I've worn glasses since kindergarden, and my new eyes work super BTW.

Well Apparently I incurred a broken nose from at least one altercation in my life. I'm guessing it was when I was jumped by a couple of bigger guys who were gang members in an unprovoked attack from when I was 16 years old. I broke my thumb against one of their heads before I was knocked out...and I looked like around 20% LIFE from Wolfenstein for a comparison by the time I wandered back home that day.

[IMG]

Well, by the end of the month I'm undergoing surgery to finally be able to breathe without having to have my mouth open. Maybe it will help my insomnia. Just wanted to spew out my excitement, thanks for reading.

---

SURGERY TO IMPROVE FUNCTION:

Two types of functional surgery are often used to remove blockages and to enlarge breathing space in the nose. A Septoplasty repairs a crooked (deviated) septum that is blocking the air flow through one or both sides of the nose. Turbinate Surgery repairs blockages caused by enlarged turbinates. If needed, these surgeries can be done at the same time (and will be in MY case).

SEPTOPLASTY: This surgery repairs a blockage inside the nose caused by a deviated septum. To do this, incisions are made inside the nose. Then cartilage and sometimes bone (...frakking GREAT!...) are removed from the septum and are trimmed, reshaped, moved, or removed.

TURBINATE SURGERY: This surgery repairs a blockage caused by enlarged turbinates (IT'S A TRAP!)

Incisions are made inside the nose under the lower turbinate. A laser may be used to do this (?...funny, I've always seen chisel and hammer work done). Excess bone may be removed to reduce turbinate size. Sometimes, excess mucous membrane is also removed.

---

This is what the splint removal is like, a few days post op from when they're going to chisel out my nostrils. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6o...ljPJ6OE/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded
    (this is a random person I found on youtube having the post op procedure that I'm about to go through,,,that is more photogenic than I would be:)

Well wishes!

(and personal photos to follow)
  2. mamaloves2 Spirit

Message Count:
    Good Luck with your surgery Brent!!:)
  3. Dark Avenger Spirit

Message Count:
    Hey man!! Good luck with the op. :). Please keep us posted
  4. Angelpower1962 Ghost

Message Count:
    hey Jolly, it's nice to see you.

Good luck with the operation..and wishing you a great outcome with it.
  5. annagain Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Well sounds like you're going to be a whole new you by the time this is all done! New eyes, new nose.

Good luck Brent!!
  6. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    :eek:
    Nawww you will be ok Suga..

We do this surgery quite often at our surgery center.. we don't do laser.. you might have some bruising around the eyes.. some people do.. which of course you can use for Zombie pictures... all the people say after the initial PITA of healing.. first couple days.. say it made a world of difference.

chin up.. you will do fine.
  7. Jolly Spirit

Message Count:
    Thanks guys :)

What's a PITA? It sound Italian. :D
  8. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Pain In The Ass

lol
  9. kachisa Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good luck with the surgery Brent.

Let me know how it goes (especially recovery pain/feelings) I have the same problem and have often thought about getting it fixed.
  10. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    DON'T ask a name to describe pain to you kach lol
  11. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    DON'T ask a name to describe pain to you kach lol
  12. Fullmoondolphin Spirit

Message Count:
    All the best with the surgery, Brent. Fingers crossed it solves your sleep issues! :)
  13. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    Clearing some of the blockage in the nasal passages should help you breathe easier while asleep, too. If snoring or sleep apnea has been a problem they may be reduced allowing you a more restful sleep.

To a speedy recovery post-op.
  14. Jolly Spirit

Message Count:
    Monday I had surgery, it was quite an experience.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54949429

I'm happy, feeling glad. I got sunshine, in an IV bag... So, I started feel feel a bit of anxiety from PTSD due to remembering what caused this, from being victimized by a violent crime while I was a kid. 15 years ago I was attacked, unproved, by a couple of gang members who were larger and older than me. I fought back, and struck with such force that I even broke my thumb bone against one of my attacker's heads. I lost, and they fucked me up. It was the only fight I had ever lost (to include my 300+ combative restraint episodes from back when I worked physical security at my old psych hospital). I was only 15. The initial broken nose I incurred didn't let me breathe too well, but I could manage well enough to pass the military physical if I left my mouth slightly open to breathe though. However, where I work now there's so much dust and allergens in my current work environment, that it aggravated my nasal passageways to where I couldn't breathe. We should seriously get some kind of occupational hazard pay. I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about in this video, but how I felt? I was given 2 doses of 250 mg valium while I waited. ...it was like walking on sunshine :)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54951728

The grand finale will be tomorrow when I get the splints pulled out of my skull. It's been 24 hours so far, and my nose is still leaking.

[IMG]
  15. idontcarecalldrphil Spirit

Message Count:
    OMgosh.. I do not mean to laugh... but when your wife said "say goodbye"
    LOL.... you sure did.

You poor thing. You looked misrable... although slightly happy. Gotta love pharmacuticals. Hope you have a speedy recovery.:)
  16. TAPSFAN Ghost

Message Count:
    LOL! You were definitely flying! I've got to show this to my oldest son. He's a Fallout 3 fan. He'll get the "bottle caps". Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
  17. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Looks like you are doing pretty good for a man lol
  18. kachisa Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Oooooww!! You are looking good...feeling no pain...I love the Gorillaz reference---lmao!! that cracked me up.
  19. Fullmoondolphin Spirit

Message Count:
    Brent, that gave me a good giggle! I'm glad all went well, and it's nice that you were in such good spirits. ;) Here's wishing you speedy healing and an uncomplicated recovery.
  20. annagain Super Moderator

Message Count:
    LMAO Brent! Yep you were feeling no pain for sure!

Hope you heal up quickly!