J Ward, Ararat, VIC.

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by tasdevil, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    If possible I would like to see if anyone can get any readings from the photos I have taken.
    Here is some background information.

Recently I was travelling around Australia and came across a town called Ararat.
    At first glance it is like any other small town in Australia, one blink and you will miss it.
    But, off the highway is a hidden side of the town. With nothing but a few little road signs to indicate their existence, you would never know there is a building known as Aradale, built from 1865, that was used as an Mental Hospital until 1993 and a building known as J Ward, used form 1887 to house the criminally insane until 1998.

Aradale is now used as a winery, vineyard and lavender farm by an educational institute.
    However, on Sundays there are guided day tours and from Sunday – Thursday Night Group tours are available. These tours are run by volunteers.
    Sadly, I was not able to go on one of the tours or Aradale.

J Ward is a different story.
    Volunteers from Friends of J Ward Inc. run tours at least 4 times a day and have night tours by arrangement.
    Originally built to be used as a county gaol (1861-1887) and used as the site of 3 hangings, the building was then sold to the Lunacy Department. The Department then used the building to house those inmates deemed Criminally Insane and inappropriate to be housed in Aradale.
    Our guide, Geoff, showed us through the Governors quarters and the married quarters on the premises.
    The Governor and his Second in charge would have their wives and children living with them while they worked in J Ward, with only a stone wall separating them from the inmates and often not even that.
    The impressive stone walls of J Ward are over two stories high and are believed to be at least 6 feet underground. Built by immigrants from the British Isles, the walls are magnificent but there are many records of escapes over them.
    On the walls of the prison are two painted ships, believed to be painted by inmates from the prison days, one of which has been smudged when, during the 1940’s, a German inmate attempted to change the ship into the Nazi symbol, Swastika, to show his alliance. It is believed this inmate is still alive and is being housed in a German Hospital.
    The West Wing was used to house those of minimum risk. Until the 1950’s, the rooms in West Wing consisted of wooden flooring, a bucket for toileting and a secure window that let in very little light. The arrival of Dr Cunningham Dax saw many changes introduced including carpeting and beds and heating.
    On display in West Wing is an updated room, an original style room, a suicide blanket, made in such a way that inmates can’t tear strips to hand themselves, tapestries made by an inmate, who was being held for murdering his wife, cutting her into small pieces and discarding of her body in bags into a river. Also, there is one of the original autopsy tables and 3 original morgue gurneys.

The Main Cell Block was used to house inmate that’s were being assessed and who would remain in the facility indefinitely. The main cell also housed the chapel. The bottom story has displays from the J Ward era while the top level has displays relating to the prison days.
    On the lower level on display are strait jackets, electro-shock treatment machines, and restraints, stories, photos and testimonies form former patients. The chapel is in stunning condition, with pews, a stained glass window, organ and bibles.

On the upper level there are stories from suicides of inmates, a convict bed, examples of uniforms, and most importantly the death cell and gallows.
    The three men who were hung in the gaol were buried in unmarked graves on the property. The other prisoners marked their graves with the symbol of the convict, an arrow pointing upwards. It is believed prisoner were buried upright and facing towards the wall so that they would never be able to rest in peace and their souls would always be enclosed by the gaol walls. The Friends of J Ward have place plaques above the grave sites.

In the rear of the facility is the exercise yard, where the “unmarked” graves are located. The walls of the exercise yard are marked with the etching of inmates, drawings as plain as boxes, outlines of hand and even a bunch Hof grapes. The most disturbing one is etchings made by an inmate repeatedly scratching the walls.

Around the side of the main building is a set of stairs leading down into the kitchen, built underneath the main building. Walking into the kitchen you can still smell the smoke from the wood ovens, long ago put out. The walls and roof are covered in soot and smoke stains. Inmates were never permitted into the kitchen, sharp instruments and all that. The kitchen has even been used in the production of horror movies. To the rear of the kitchen is a door to a passageway.
    The dark passageway leads to a set of stairs and the original bathroom. One bath to wash all of the inmates!
    With the construction of the newer bath house the original was then used as a smoking room, to smoke and cure meats.
    The stairs lead up to the exit of the mail building and museum display of artefacts.

Friends of J Ward are open to paranormal research groups and even lock ins. On Friday the 13th a group of people are being locked into West Wing for the night, not sure why they aren’t spending the night in the Main Cell Block with the gallows.

There is a lot of interesting stories for me to share but I would like to wait and see if anyone gets any readings first.
    Returned likes this.
  2. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    xmas timeish 022.JPG The inside view of the fron gate

xmas timeish 023.JPG
    The view of J Ward

xmas timeish 024.JPG
    The view of Aradale

xmas timeish 032.JPG
    Morgue Grurney

xmas timeish 033.JPG
    Autopsy Table

xmas timeish 034.JPG
    Morgue Gurney
    xmas timeish 047.JPG
    Morgue Gurney
  3. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    xmas timeish 046.JPG
    Tapestry made by a male inmate
    xmas timeish 043.JPG
    West Wing room
    xmas timeish 045.JPG
    West Wing room - original
    xmas timeish 053.JPG
    Bath House
    xmas timeish 057.JPG Chapel window
    xmas timeish 062.JPG
    Electro-shock machine
    xmas timeish 069.JPG
    Cell
    Returned likes this.
  4. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    xmas timeish 076.JPG
    Cell
    xmas timeish 079.JPG
    Gallows
    xmas timeish 085.JPG
    Cell bed
    xmas timeish 105.JPG convict marked grave
    xmas timeish 114.JPG
    kitchen
    xmas timeish 117.JPG
    courtyard view
    xmas timeish 116.JPG
    staircase
    xmas timeish 107.JPG
    original bathroom
    Returned likes this.
  5. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    There are two places in particular I was wondering if anyone has picked anything up on. I won't mention which two so that if I receive any replies they are un-tainted.
    But these places I found difficult to be, not a runaway I'm scared kind of thing but it's hard to explain.

Hope you enjoy!
  6. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    Reading “ararat,” I first thought of Mt Ararat, the place thought to be the final resting place of Noah’s Ark after the Biblical flood. Obviously not after reading on.

The “electro-shock machine;” it darn near hit me in the face.

It sparked a nerve – I know, I know, no pun intended, but then I had a direct relationship with one individual who had this archaic form of mental health therapy – My father.

My father was one firsthand recipient of electro-shock therapy before such practices were replaced with first generation pharmaceuticals meant to work with the bio-chemical processes of the brain and, thereby, favorably alter non-adaptive behaviour-to-behaviour patterns more suited to daily living. At least, that was the plan by the practitioners involved with psyche related modalities meant to treat what was thought of as abnormal behaviour.

The stairs were another photo to catch the eye, so to speak.

There’s a great deal that happened there and I suspect that relatives had some stories one would easily cringe at from hearing.

The use of the “arrow” I thought significant. It represents, among other things, the light of supreme power. From ancient times, it was the weapon of Apollo and Diana.

In ancient Greece and pre-Columbian America, the “arrow” was used to designate the rays of the Sun. One sees it in other ancient representation, too, as well as it being a formidable agent of the “hunt.” (Flint arrowheads; end part of a shaft – the spear; later, in use with the bow, etc.)

The shape of the arrow also has a phallic significance, especially, when seen with a special design or visual object that has been balanced against the symbol of the “mystic centre or mystical center.” The ancient symbol for ‘man’ or male gender, for instance, where the circle has protruding from its centre, the ray or “arrow.” Clearly, some of the inhabitants there, of times past, were not what one might have thought they were. Such a place is not for the timid.

I should point out that Australia has its own indigenous folk and their strong beliefs that may have influenced many involved.
    tasdevil likes this.
  7. TheaDebra Spirit

Message Count:
    When I saw the photo of the front gate, my heart gave a sort of lurch in my chest. I got the feeling of apprehension.
    In the photo of the side view of the morgue gurney, I felt that someone was inside it and they were pounding on the sides to be let out.
    While looking at the beautiful tapestry in the display case, I had a strong feeling of dispair.
    The stairs and the original bathroom freaked me out. I couldn't look at those photos for long. I had an intense feeling that if I looked at the original bathroom too long, someone (or thing????) was going to leap out at me.
    tasdevil likes this.
  8. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Now that is some cool pics, let me see Very strange but I hear Hitler. I did no read what you wrote yet. Henry the 8th when I look at the kit I get a hanging. cell bed I get laurence olivia. gaolos I get three wise men. I will look more later.
    tasdevil likes this.
  9. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    not a bad reading at all. I am happy with what I saw. Strange if you read my past lives posts a lot of what you said is in my posts. A) the plastic bags with body parts in them. One of my reads. hitler was on my mind and I posted that. Will be interesting to see what else I will see. Thanks a lot Slick three wise men matched.
    tasdevil likes this.
  10. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Tas next time you post a pick don't say anything about it. It would be better if you post stuff after you get some replies. People would believe if the reader is really reading or copying what you wrote. Thanks Slick
    tasdevil likes this.
  11. tasdevil Spirit

Message Count:
    I have kept some info back and also where I 'felt' something.
    Some of the posts are spot on with what the guide told me and what I 'felt'.

As you said Slick I will reveal more later...

Thanks Everyone :D
  12. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    I will write you a book on the pictures cause I really feel a connection. I love mysteries. I hope people really make an effort. Come on give it a try. What you think might be spot on. It took time and energy to set all this up. Thanks TAS
    tasdevil likes this.
  13. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

OOh goodness! Thank-you so much for sharing these images!

While there is a deep sense of sadness, confusion and despair in the whole package, the one that jumped off the screen for me is the staircase. I have a sense that there is activity around those stairs. I think that while on those stairs, some people have sensed a spirit brush past them. I think this may have been so as this picture was taken.

I have a sense there is something happening around that gurney too, but I think it is staff rather than inmate.

Of course I claim no special gifts in reading this sort of thing; this is just the overwhelming feeling I gleaned from that particular image.

Muriel!
    tasdevil and slick like this.
  14. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Ok it is time for some fun. I am very tired but excited to. I will start from the first picture and let you have what I come up with. This is great practice. Thanks again. Here we go. First picture I see men outside the gates with I believe is like those spears or things that they use on the horses to knock people off. Strange but I see people trying to get in there. I believe at one time there was a sign that said Warning on it. I see a person hanging from a rope there. Second picture nothing comes to mind. Third picture I see statues of Angels white. I heard humiliation. forth nothing fifth I heard doctur Rikeoff. Tapstry pic I see a very tall very thin bearded man. West wing hosted a murderer or a murder happen there. Ok for right now. Thanks again Slick
    tasdevil likes this.
  15. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Evening..

Slick, you are amazing! I envy your gifts and love reading what you write.

Curious that you should 'see' men on horseback carrying what sounds like a jousting lances, since jousting was a sport of kings in medieval Europe. Native Americans had a similar weapon called the 'War Lance', so I wonder if the scene you envisioned may be a war party from an earlier time. Is this possible? Interesting too is your reference to people trying to get IN.. I am thinking this too may be from an earlier time since that is a place from which people would yearn to escape and put as much distance as possible between them and it.

The tapestry was made by a very talented male inmate. Do you think the thin bearded man may have been the artist?

The more I look at that gurney picture the more aware I am that there is activity around it and that it is a staff person (nurse?) rather than an inmate or patient.

I wish I could develop the ability to read photographs such as these. I am sure they contain a great deal of information that is simply lost to mere mortals such as myself.

Muriel!

PS: I just noticed that is an INSIDE view of the front gate, so the people you see were trying to get out, not in!
    tasdevil and slick like this.
  16. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

In the bedroom image with the bedspread, there is an open 'cupboard' door with nothing more than a neatly framed blank wall behind it.. sort of reminiscent of the architectural detail of the Winchester Mansion in San Jose.

Or is that door a window shutter that fits neatly into the space in the wall when not in use? I have never seen anything quite like that before.

M!
  17. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Thanks Murlag I never notice that as the inside. So all my visons would be inside guards. Hmm
    tasdevil likes this.
  18. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    1. Original bathroom I see like a gangster, like Al Capone. He is dressed in nice clothes looking at the tub.
    tasdevil likes this.
  19. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Steps I see a female in a long white gown.
    tasdevil likes this.
  20. slick Spirit

Message Count:
    Cell bed William Hurt came to mind. Was this place used in a movie. Is WH an actor.
    tasdevil likes this.