Old Davis Hospital (local tales from NC)

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by anw, Jun 8, 2008.

1. anw Spirit

Message Count:
    Statesville, North Carolina, USA, about 15 minutes from were I live. It is a nice little place to visit and full of legends and myths. From the train crash at the Bostian Bridge were the event happens over again on the anniversary of the crash, to the soldiers who return to the old Fort Dobbs site still fighting there battle. There’s even tales of a witch buried in a old cemetery and seen by people wondering the cemetery from time to time, only to disappear before they can get there. But the tale I will bring you today is of the Old Davis Hospital.

Built around the 1920, and shut down around the early 1980's when the new building was built. Since then the majority of the building has remained empty and run down. People who have ventured into the building have come back of stories from children and shadows running threw the halls, babies crying in the maternity ward, and just a feeling of dread about being in the building.

If you are ever around the area, I would not suggest trying to enter the building. A fraction of the building is now owned and used as a office by Wilson Security Company. (basically the front door and a couple small offices). Do to the fact that this company feels a great need for security since they are also a private detective agency, they allow a guard dog to roam freely around the hospital and its property during non business hours. Also the local police seem to have a major problem with anyone on the property and do not think twice of arresting for trespassing to the fullest extent and maximum charges (and im not joking on that, I mean maximum charges.)

You may be able to ask Wilson Security to look around the hospital, but more then likely they will not allow this for the fact that the hospital is run down and they fear what might happen to them if you were exposed to asbestos that is now all over the building that has not yet been restored by Wilson Security (basically 95% of the building.) If you watch the video, you may notice the person wearing a respirator at the end for this reason. The You Tube video was either made during business hours when the dog is more then likely not around, a allowed entrance with permission by Wilson Security, or before Wilson Security took over the building.

Maybe I can find more information on this hospital later, but now this video and a couple of websites is all that I got on it. And for those who are thinking that I was attacked by a dog and arrested, No. I work for another much larger security company and know many of the law enforcement officers in the area. I have also had dealings with Wilson Security when they were hired to work where I was a foreman in a old cotton mill. I would come in and work on starting up the two 120 ton chiller units and many machines while they were around.

You Tube of Old Davis Hospital (not my video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EoCzgqcJs

History of Davis Regional Medical Center
    http://www.davisregional.com/About/History/1189/Content.aspx

Short Info into the haunting of Old Davis Hospital.
    http://www.strangeusa.com/ViewLocat...8&desc=Statesville, Nc Location Type Haunt Nc

P.S.
    This is also the building that they filmed part of the movie The Boneyard in 1991. Not a famous movie at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQdMnI2WhU
  2. anw Spirit

Message Count:
    Ok, I got my stories confused on locations, Theres so many different places around here thats haunted its hard not to get the locations confused. I was going from memory on some of it and thought that this one was the other presumed haunted graveyard near the center of Statesville. The vanishing witch is in the next town over in Troutman. I will try to dig up the story on the one in Statesville when I get the chance.

Troutman - Shinville graveyard - there is supposedly a witch buried in this graveyard. there have been numerous sightings of a woman standing among the tombstones and if you stop the car she will look toward you and then vanish.

Abandoned NC - Shinville graveyard.
    http://anc.funkybuu.net/shinville.html

Just added.
    The Shinville graveyard is located on shinville rd. now listed in Mooresville do to border changes. The old graveyard in Statesville is one of these two graveyards I have listed below. Im having a hard time finding any information on it due to the age of the graveyards and the fact that they have not been used in a very long time. There so old they dont even show there locations on the maps. I believe it is the Fourth Creek Cemetery but could be wrong. The cemetery is located about a quarter mile from the center of Statesville were the town clock stands. It sits were the road forks and the cemetery is triangle shaped with a 3 foot high old stone wall surounding it. It has old iron gates that are pad locked to keep people out (statesville no trespassing law). And if my memory has it right, you should be able to drive from the cemetery straight to the Old Davis Hospital, there both on the same road. I have heard stories as a child about that cemetery but can not find any information on it to back up the stories. I will keep looking

Fourth Creek Cemetery – established 1758, consisting of 1.636 acres (Turned over to the City in 1933)
    Green Street Cemetery – established (unknown) – 3.390 acres

More added.
    Im guessing that the stories I was told on the cemetery in statesville is just family myth or its just not that well known and not placed on the internet. The cemetery is called Fourth Creek Cemetery and you have to look it up by name on google maps to find it. you can not just look up statesville NC cemeteries, I wish it was that simple. I have a boring link to the history of that area with a small mention of the church next to the cemetery and some history on fort dobbs and the surrounding area. maybe it will interest you, maybe it will not. Have fun

http://svchamber.wynncom.com/history_culture.aspx

Just found on Abandoned NC - Fourth Creek Cemetery
    http://anc.funkybuu.net/4thcreek.html

Ok, im going to leave everyone with this to look at for a while. Maybe it will catch your interest maybe it wont. If anyone like this good enough ill try to get more information on it for you, are on other area's like Fort Dobbs, The Vance Hotel, Bostian Bridge, the old Bradley Middle School (I think the school is now demolished). I am thinking about visiting some of these sites to photograph, thought normally I am a nature photographer for a hobbie, this could be a good change for me. I would not wait for this to happen though because right now its kayaking and fishing season, hehe I like my yak fishing. Enjoy.

Thanks
    ANW
  3. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:
    That's awesome, ANW. My hubby and I are actually looking for a "ghostly" place to travel to and investigate for a little getaway on our anniversary this year. That gives me an idea....
  4. Screaming Pain Spirit

Message Count:
    Ahhh, hospitals. Can you imagine one not being haunted?
  5. anw Spirit

Message Count:
    Thats great, If you really do want to come into this area, send me a PM and I will try to get more information for you and directions to these places and others. Though you can find information on some of these places, others like the Vance hotel are rumored only by word of mouth. The hotel likes to keep a reputation but its been told for a while that a little girl that drowned in the indoor pool and still hangs around the area that the pool is at.

I doubt I will be able to take you to some of these places myself due to my work schedule, but I will get you some information on it the best I can.

Thanks,
    ANW
  6. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:
    Thanks, ANW! I have no problems doing research on places and contacting grounds owners for legal access into "forbidden" places. I've done it many times over the years and have always had good luck with permission.
  7. anw Spirit

Message Count:
    Allright then, well since your in the area anyways, you might like to go up 40 and into the Morgantan area to see the Broughton Hospital. It is still a active hospital so I do not know how much luck you will have, but I have been in the building before visiting people in there and, well I will just say its a very active place. Some area's of the building has been completly closed off due to activity. If you cant get into the hospital, you always have the Brown Mountain Lights that is close to that area. Its rarely a miss.

I have also been in the Old Davids hospital for business in the parts that they have renovated. It felt like any other building to me, but that is a very small portion of the building, and I had no reason to go into the older parts. Well just make sure you bring a good respirator.