Smell before someone dies?

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by samantha7, Feb 23, 2011.

1. samantha7 Ghost

Message Count:
    Has anyone had a smell before someone dies? or a smell when someone dies?
  2. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Morning, Samatha,

From your question, I assume you have had this experience.

Smells are one of the techniques spirits use to manifest, to let you know they are there. They are usually odors that would be associated with that person in life, such as a particular perfume, baking, pipe smoke, but occasionally they can be vile.

So yes, it is entirely possible that a person may manifest in this manner at, before or after death.

Why do you ask?

Muriel!

[IMG]
  3. Hatchet Spirit

Message Count:
    There is another possibility, the body releases everything, even from the pores in the skin at the moment of death but it's not usually a pleasant smell. It's natural and happens to most people.

Don't be scared of the things that go bump in the night, bump them back!
    VA Baby likes this.
  4. Tantric Kitten Spirit

Message Count:
    I assume you've had this experience or know someone who's had this experience...

My question would be: do you/this person have other experiences associated with a smell or a taste that no one else can smell and is it associated with the feeling of a foreign presence (or someone who's passed)?

There is a fairly rare psychic ability called alternately clairgustance (clear-tasting) or clairnaisance (clear-smelling). It is when a person receives psychic input through their sense of smell and/or their sense of taste.

I feel like this is related to when sensitive people can see when someone's going to die... that there is a change in their aura or energy that shows visibly to someone who is clairvoyant (clear-seeing) in the short period leading up to their death. It can be moments, hours or even weeks up to a couple months. It does not have any relation to illness... a healthy person who is going to die shortly in a car accident will have this look about them. It doesn't seem impossible to me that someone who has a psychic nose would smell death on them in the same manner.
  5. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    Welcome to GhostPlace!

Yes, it is often referred to as clairolfaction / clairalience.

Here’s a site across the channel from you:
    http://www.leylijnen.com/clairolfaction.htm

and another
    http://www.crystalinks.com/clairalience.html

In each thread forum at GhostPlace, near the top of the page, in the second menu bar, in blue lettering at the end, you’ll see “Advanced Search” on the right end of the menu bar. Some of what you seek may be found through a search as this topic has come up several times before. In this case start with clairolfaction or clairalience and you’ll find several older threads discussing your topic of interest.

“To know so much, yet, lack remains; it is this level of ignorance to have dominion over. Choose not ignorance, for that which is, is more than the sum of its parts.” The future has taken root in the present – The past is done
    AshleesMum likes this.
  6. Tantric Kitten Spirit

Message Count:
    Ah, Returned, those are such better terms than the ones I've always heard used.

Maybe that's why I can't ever find anything on the smell one, too. [rolls]
  7. Peraxis Spirit

Message Count:
    OK - I feel a bit daft for mentioning this, but it's been bugging me.

Last weekend I read The Blue Flame's account of what happened to him that's stickied on here. I thought it was an excellent piece of writing. However, I was a bit disturbed by the poster afterward who claimed that after he read it his kid had a visitation.

I haven't had anything like that, and I have a kid and a dog that haven't been disturbed by anything, but one thing that bothers me is that I keep getting a whiff of sulphur in our living room. (I assume it's sulphur anyway - we got a bottle of drain clog cleaner a few weeks back and the main ingredient is sulphuric acid. The smell is just like that, but outside of using it on the drain it hasn't been near anything else, so I'm discounting it as the source.)

My Wife is quite religious (I'm not) and had taken a bag of objects to her Church for a prayer circle she was conducting.. She bounced the prayer reading off me before she went, and in some way the objects were all 'sanctified'. (i.e. there was a glass bottle, and she would hold it up and read ".. The bottle represents **whatever** as it causes us to think of **whatever**")

Anyway - she had left the bag of objects on a chair in the living room. I went to move them a day or so later and the sulphur smell was quite strongly on the bag and everything in there.

I'm just wondering if this is anything I should worry about.. There hasn't been anything since this.
  8. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi Samantha I wrote somewhere in here.. about exactly what you are refering to (I think)

I know the smell that I always sense.. when someone has just passed, or is about to pass.. it happens within minutes.. maybe seconds. I ALWAYS smell the same exact scent... it is faint but there.

I have smelled it for years.. working in ER's and Operating rooms.. and I can smell it right through my mask. and I "know" inside myself.. that there is nothing left to do.. even when the team may be doing CPR.. that it won't work.

[IMG]
    When you look into an
    abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  9. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    In response to you Tantric.. I wonder why some people can smell just a few things about to happen or.. newly happening..

I ask because As I said above.. I can smell death coming off someone.. but I can also "smell" a person when they are pregnant.. even when they don't know it.. or if they haven't told anyone about it.. even strangers walking down the street.. it's weird.

[IMG]
    When you look into an
    abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  10. Hatchet Spirit

Message Count:
    Hi,
    I'd keep an eye on it and start keeping a journal about it and anything that is unexplained going on in the house. I'm not saying that there is anything going on or will but the sulfur smell is very suspect and not a good sign.
    Hatchet.

Don't be scared of the things that go bump in the night, bump them back!
  11. ravez Spirit

Message Count:
    i believe entirely possible. my mother smells flowers...my sister hears music....i see owls.
  12. Coleen Ghost

Message Count:
    Hi I wonder if you could advise me. I am beliver in god and love him dearly so do not want to seem like I am looking for anything that I should not. But 2 years ago before My mom even became ill I would often get the strongest most foul smelling smell fill my bedroom, somtimes waking me in the night, noone else could ever smell this smell apart from myself, it was so strong making me feel sick, this went on for months before my mom even passed. also 9 weeks before she passed I had the most vivid dream of mum drowning and much more but wont bore you , but anyway this smell was so strong and would still get it after we were told she was dying from cancer even the days leading to her death when I was in the room with her. well, since her death I have never smelt that smell since, untill now I smell a complelty different smell, its a strong cigerette smell again in my room so strong and getting more frequent just like the smell with mum, noone else again can smell it apart from me and I am scared...... My younger sister smokes ALOT and I am scared this means she is going to die ? does anyone else have this happen to them and what should / can I do ???
  13. lady_darklock Spirit

Message Count:
    When my mother passed away in another state, I smelled the scent of Gardenias and ginger. Those were her very favorite flowers. I panicked because( I didn't have any flowers in the house and nor perfume) , in away I knew she had passed away. I received news of her passing two days later, when my sisters called.

I haven't had any peculiar smells, per say, weeks or months prior. Interesting. Hmm, perhaps this would be more like an Omen? Has any other relatives experienced these sort of things prior to a death? Perhaps you could inquire if it's not going to step or intrude in ones spiritual beliefs.
  14. Paulalatt Ghost

Message Count:
    I believe that I have several times throughout my life and it use to freak me out because I would see a correlation between this odor that would linger in my nose for weeks at a time. It was weird because no one else could smell it and for me it smelled like ( and I know this is gonna sound super crazy but) a really dirty, sweaty butt (and that's usually 2 weeks before someone from my church passes). But recently I smelled something different for the first time and that was a horrible fart that stuck in my nose for 3 consecutive days. At first I thought it was someone passing gas but it stayed with me for days and when it subsided I learned of the passing of a family friend who was heavily involved in the streets. When I get that lingering smell directly in my nose I know someone is going to pass but I never know who. I myself go to church and am unsure how to go about exploring this. I don't if you can relate to that smell or if it's different for you. I had to google this because it happened recently for me and this has been happening since I was 16 and I'm 26 now.
  15. Coleen Ghost

Message Count:
  16. Coleen Ghost

Message Count:
    Hi Samantha7. I don't think your crazy atall with the smells you have. The cigarette smell I had has now gone it is apparent it was to do with My uncle ( my mums brother ) who passed away the smell went. He passed away from lung cancer. Its the most strangest thing to ever happen to m the smells can come so quickly and go just as quick as they came and only myself can smell them. Not sure if I will get any more. But If I do I will update.
  17. Someone Wraith

Message Count:
    Hi,
    My name is Bilgin. It made me relaxed to see there are other people who experienced this. Nearly 10 years before it started when we visited an old man. I felt a very strange smell coming from him. The smell was not so bad but it was a unique. I can not describe it. Then we left him and I heard him die after 10 days.
    I felt that smell when I pass infront of the morgue in the hospital. Then I remembered the smell on the old man. Time passed and one of my friends died. I forgot about the smell and I was not expecting such a smell when I was going to his funeral ceramony. The smell filled to my nose as soon as I entered his street.
    The most perturbotional one was when I was walking in the field in my work with my friend. When we were passing near a boy I said him "This place smells like death" and I talked him about the other experiences.When we came to work again tomorrow the boy ,that we passed near of him, died after 3 hours we left that place. I was terrified and my friend too. We are keeping it secret for a long time.

Please share more things about it to help me understanding what is happening.
  18. slrenkert Spirit

Message Count:
    Wow, now I'm kind of nervous. Yesterday, When I walked out of my house I smelled smoke from a pipe, which in-turn made me immediately think of my uncle(He is still alive 2000 miles away from me.). I smelled it again walking out of the store over a mile away from my house.
  19. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Morning..

Since this happened outdoors, and while I am not discounting that it could be paranormal in origin, I am thinking it is likely from someone smoking a pipe in the vicinity.

I would not fret over this..

Muriel!
    slrenkert likes this.
  20. slrenkert Spirit

Message Count:
    I thought the same thing, the only thing that was weird was I smelled it again almost 2 hours later in a different place over a mile away, I asked my oldest daughter if she could smell it and she looked at me strange and said she couldn't smell anything.