The show Paranormal Witness Real or Fake and fabricated stories what fo you think?

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by PunkMaister, Sep 30, 2011.

1. PunkMaister Spirit

Message Count:
    As you all might be aware or not Syfy has launched a new show about paranormal phenomenon called Paranormal witness in which they recreate what has happened to allegedly real witnesses to such events the latest one being about Mansfield Training School and Hospital. The place is real enough as this Wikipedia article shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansfield_Training_School_and_Hospital

As for the place being haunted it could very well be but I wonder if all the stories featured are real or are mostly fabricated. What do you think?
    Welshbabe likes this.
  2. Techguy32 Ghost

Message Count:
    Not seen the show myself but always treat TV evidence with caution. Is that showing on Syfy in the states, sure I've not seen it on our UK Channel yet.
  3. DEADPsalm Spirit

Message Count:
    The stories are likely true but I suspect they are exaggerated for the sake of entertainment.
    gavknight, ghostgirl25 and Welshbabe like this.
  4. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi,

I have not seen this show, but I do suspect DeadPalm is absolutely right. As with most shows of this nature, the object is to make it entertaining so that networks will buy it, that people will flock to their TV sets at the appointed time, that sponsors will note this and queue up to throw money it. Sometimes this involves a bit of literary license, aka embroidering and embellishing the 'facts'.

Muriel!
    ghostgirl25 and Welshbabe like this.
  5. Kurisu Spirit

Message Count:
    Some of them are very creepy but I don't believe most of what they say, especially if they conveniently manage to capture almost everything on camera.
  6. Vampires Fury Spirit

Message Count:
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. They exaggerate the truth in order to get people to watch the show.
  7. American Scientific Wraith

Message Count:
    Very good point. It is amazing how they manage to get enough activity to produce a weekly show without missing a single week.
  8. Chrisjones Ghost

Message Count:
    I'm watching it now. And I have a gift for detecting people when they lie. I believe some of the people on some of the other episodes whole heartily. But the "Training school" episode. Not even close. I believe the place may have freaked out the daughter, but I don't believe that they are telling the story the way it happened. One serious tell is whenever either of them are about to say something about the entity they look down and not into the camera, which they do fine when they are talking about non-events. The daughter especially. when she does look into the camera you can see something in her eyes that just doesn't jive with someone who is telling the whole truth. I don't believe them. I think that maybe they think the house is haunted, but I think, as well, that they are exaggerating explainable events and feel like they are exposing themselves when they tell half truths. I think some people aspire to write a book and strike it rich, or will just settle for being on TV with their B.S. stories. Amityville Horror is a good example of this. That familly scared the crap out of half the country, only for their story to be exposed as a very tall tale and nothing else. But they made allot of money telling it.
  9. PunkMaister Spirit

Message Count:
    ^ Actually they did experience paranormal events but they overexagerated them to a great deal. For example they did experience objects moving on their own and disembodied voices and even some flies but not blood dripping from the walls and never, ever the horde of flies depicted in the book and the movie.
  10. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

OOkay, I have watched the show.. and my take on it is that while there is quite likely based on a very true story, they have made liberal use of literary license to hold and grab the masses. Furthermore, I found they wrung an hour, minus commercial time, out of it. It would make an entertaining half hour show, but an drags on.

Muriel!
  11. Chrisjones Ghost

Message Count:
    I finished watching the episode after posting my message. I now think that there's a high probability of the house being haunted. I haven't done allot of research on it. But according to the testimony on the show. The facility was called "House for Imbeciles" or "House of Imbeciles". I think that the treatment of the mentally ill in America is a huge stain on our history that continues today. I live very close to the, now closed and turned to condos, Danvers state hospital in MA. I lived in Salem MA for many years and it is a tourist trap because of the witch trial of 1692, which is unfortunate because Salem is a beautiful small city with an important maritime history. But most people don't know about that, they just think Salem=Witches. Our checkered past with the mentally ill all across America make the Salem witch trials look like a drop in the bucket. I've watched allot of documentaries on human behavior. It never ceases to amaze me of what monsters seemingly normal people can become when in a position of domination over others. Danvers state is reported to be haunted as well. Which would be no surprise to me. Many, many unfortunate souls have ended their days among our dimension living in that Hell-hole.
  12. Frater Arion Wraith

Message Count:
    Of course they exaggerate, it's a tv show.
    Reality: Hearing strange voices, maybe some shadow movement.
    How they depict it: Voices yelling at people all day, demons rising from the basement and trying to eat people.

Hollywood doesn't care about depicting it accurately, they want ratings. So they say it's "based" on a true story. Very loosely based, and extremely misinterpreted.
  13. Chrisjones Ghost

Message Count:
    I think everyone agrees. Exaggeration and innuendo has been taking place since man learned to speak. Another thing the show does often is create visuals like doors slamming etc. Things that aren't even claimed by people telling the story are happening in the background. This could be very misleading to someone who's naive enough to think that because it was depicted with video without being expressed with testimony that IT happened too. Lets face it. If the story is not very interesting on it's own merits, then they have to fill in the blanks or few would watch without falling asleep. I've noticed that all the "reality" ghost shows on SyFy, have taken it up....A notch? That would be an understatement. It's starting to get ridiculous. And that's a bad thing because if and when paranormal truly DO occur, people will stop believing because SyFy is beginning to cry wolf.
  14. thomas81z Spirit

Message Count:
    i was born in salem mass & my family on my mothers side lived there , yea its mostly bull ,lol we never stayed in town on or about the helloween time , its a zoo!!!
    i dont mind parnormal witness to much, it least its intwined with a story, the ones that drive me nuts are the , "lets sit in the house/jail/ mental hospital & wait with IR video, & lets do the standard EVP"
    They go thru the video & we see dust , ahhh i mean orbs, & a voice on the EVP spouting the sponsers product lol, but seriously. its all the same every week just diffrent addy ,,,, ugghhhh
  15. thomas81z Spirit

Message Count:
    ohh yea & my biggest pet peeve , the warrens & everything that moves is a DEMON ,UGGH ,since ed crossed over to become a demon , lorene warren, will have to solider on with her fight against the unholy leigons
  16. Chrisjones Ghost

Message Count:
    Ive lived in Salem And All of the surrounding towns except Lynn. Salem is my favorit. You'r right though. The real Hell in salem belongs ti it's residents during October. Nice little city the other 11 months. I'm glad,though, that visitors enjoy it. We are all tourist somewhere, sometime. I think more people should check it out during the Summer. If anyone wants a free tour, or fish for sriped bass, leme know.
  17. Spirit Chaser Spirit

Message Count:
    Seen it and I'd put it along all the other tv shows that "deal with the paranormal", More interesting that GH or GHI,can't address what might be shown on BBC, for instance, but most are just plain "lame".
  18. paranormaltrey Ghost

Message Count:
    Lame is a good word for it.
    MurLag likes this.
  19. ReelGirlsFish Ghost

Message Count:
    I believe that the stories are true, however like everyone is saying the dramatizations are probably emphasized. On the other hand, I also believe that the dramatizations are matched to what the credible witnesses have experienced.
    My family is from Key West, FL. Many of my family members including myself have experienced many things. My uncle, for one, was a huge skeptic. That is until he stayed a weekend during my great aunts funeral, at my brother's girl-friend's house in Key West. That point forward he was a true believer. He always thought that the stories my family told were just to scare him. I do believe what happened in the Mansfield Mansion really happened, for the most part. How can you say that real-time recorded footage that you see in these episodes are fake? Come on, they are actual recordings. I have seen things happen for no apparent reason, heard voices and seen a door open and close when it was not windy outside.
    For those skeptics, you may not believe however try living your life in one of these people's shoes and you will not be a skeptic for long.
    WARNING: NEVER TOUCH A OUIJA BOARD, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOU WILL REGRET IT. If you have and nothing has happened, you are one of the lucky ones.

Good Luck to All of You!!!
    Welshbabe likes this.
  20. Spirit Chaser Spirit

Message Count:
    :eek:I just might question the validity of all the "paranormal shows that seem to be almost everywhere and question how things get done, as some accuse them of doing. I wish a "ghost', b ymy definittion, as stated before, would just "show-up", wave, say "hi" or "boo' or something and then just vanish. Now that might be worth watching.