Traverse City Asylum and The Hippie Tree

Discussion in 'Ghost Stories' started by peep01, Sep 3, 2005.

1. peep01 Ghost

Message Count:
    Recently a group of friends and I visited the Traverse City State Asylum and the surounding area. (Yes the woods behind the asylum)
    We had done a little research on the asylum, as well as the "Hippie Tree"
    When we got there the mens ward was being renovated and Stellas the restaurant was open for business. We met the hostess, along with hearing her stories, we were given exact directions to the "Hippie Tree".
    We immediatley set out on foot for the tree. I must tell you that I am a devout sceptic, but what I saw I will never forget as long as I live. It was about a 15 min. walk to the tree. As we ventured out it felt as if that people were watching us. The closer we came to the tree the more it felt like someone or something DID NOT want us there. We kept hearing the sounds of crashing branches and scuffles in the distance. The closer we got the more strange things became. At one point one of the people that I was with "Bob" was allegedly struck by a rock in the back. That was enough for Bob and he immediatley returned to the car. In our research we had come across some of the asylum's lore about 2 young boys (William A. Schmidt and David J. Guigar) from the asylum community back around the 1940's or 1950's somehow got into the underground tunnels that connect some of the builldings. The story goes that while the boys were in the tunnel they were confronted by a patient that had been missing for close to 2 months.(His name would not be disclosed) When confronted the children became scared and began to run. When Guigar reached the end of the tunnel he realized that he was alone. Guigar, terrified of what had just happened, found a staff member to report the incedent. A short time later a group of the staff members, along with Guigar, went back into the tunnel to locate Schmidt. When they arrived, the only thing that was found was the medal of St. Raphael that his parents had given him 3 weeks before he arrived at the asylum. 6 weeks later part of his remains were found at the source of an underground spring near the "Hippie Tree". After Bob had left we found what we believed to be the beginning of the underground spring. Upon arriving at the tree we saw nothing out of the ordinary but we kept hearing strange noises or the sound of faint voices. While I was carving my name (OZ) in one of the branches pointing towards the field, my friend Aaron let out a horrible scream. When I looked over in the direction of the scream I saw a shadow where Aaron had stood on the tree only moments before. The shadow, which was around 4 ft tall, seemed to look over at me and them quickly decended into the surrounding woods. At that point we immediatley collected Aaron and returned to the car. When arriving at the car we found Bob had locked himself in the car. When Bob opened the car he informed us of what he had heard while he was there alone. Bob said that he was standing outside the car having a cigarette and was startled by screams that came from the woods and a strange howling noise. We left the area NEVER to return. When we returned to our cottage, Aaron discovered what appeared to be hand print welt on the small of his back. Upon closer examination we noticed that instead of hand print with 5 fingers there were only 3 large ones. I strongy discourage anyone from exploring anything in the surrounding areas of the asylum. There truley is some form of evil that is attached to the forest and the asylum. PLEASE STAY AWAY.
  2. lostsoul Ghost

Message Count:
    wow.. thats realy scar sounding. you make me want to go to that asylum hippie tree.lol i think the more members who read this will want to go to it not stay away from it. intersting story also.poor kid

you might want one thing but fate might want another!
  3. vinnieangel Ghost

Message Count:
    I live in Traverse City and have spent many many hours at the state hospital and the hippie tree....all of my life I have had ghostly encounters ,have never felt threatened at the hospital grounds or the hippie tree...maybe its because you chose to deface nature and the tree by carving your name in it that you had such a bad time?
  4. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Morning!

Welcome to Ghostplace! Please take a moment to read the ORANGE STICKIES at the tops of the the forums. They contain a lot of information that will make your stay here more pleasant..

It took me quite a while to get through that story because I have a really hard time with large blocks of text such as that. But, having finally done so, the first thing that popped out at me was that you carved your name in the branch! That was VERY naughty![V]

I have no idea what you experienced that day, although I cannot discount that at least some of it was paranormal in origin. (Perhaps a spirit objected to your autograph?)

I have read about this Hippie Tree.. it is noted for spooking even the most ardent skeptics. Do you intend to go back? If so, may I suggest that you remember to bring the camera?

Thank-you for sharing this ..

Muriel!

[IMG]
  5. uk_guy_1971 Ghost

Message Count:
    hi peep1 and welcome to gp.

very intresting story mate i think that there are evil spirits around that forest and most deffinattly in the hospital it`s self and thank for shareing you expirience mate take care and all the best and looking forward to seeing some pictures from anybody who is brave enough to goto the hippie tree :)

stuart
  6. kcroy Ghost

Message Count:
    I used to work security for Munson (hospital) and more than once we had to go into the buildings and ask people to leave. Many times after dark and let me tell you those buildings are VERY creepy and VERY depressing especially at night! Anytime I have ever spent much time on the grounds and I look into the windows I just get a horribly sad feeling. It probably comes from knowing the horrible things that happened there but still I am so sad there!

One night I was patrolling (December 31/Jan 1) and it was clear out when something white crossed in front of me, I was so spooked that I ditched my truck LOL! I think I about burned up the engine from trying to "rock" the truck loose but I was NOT getting out!!

I do not know where the hippy tree is but I went walking on the trails on the grounds with my son last week and he was really jumpy for some reason? I am interested in the directions to the tree though!
    Kristy
  7. Fullmoondolphin Spirit

Message Count:
    This thread is over a year old, and peep01 hasn't been around here for several months. So I don't think any questions will be answered by the original poster.

[IMG]
    Echoes In Time
  8. elvenprincess06 Ghost

Message Count:
    my grandpa use to work for the hospital a long time ago....so if anyone has any questions i'll try my best to answer. and i know where the hippie tree is and i've been inside the buildings and the tunnels as well as some other places on the grounds...

she b
  9. vulcan Ghost

Message Count:
    I would like to know where it is exactly. I don't know how much I believe of his story since they seemed a might skiddish, but it peeks my interest and I wouldn't mind visiting the location.

if you open your mind to much your brains may fall out
  10. grainsiloguard Ghost

Message Count:
    It looks like we'll get this story again in a year cause I just read the exact same thread in ghost talk for may.

[IMG]

siggy pic by me

"Now devoured by the light of day. Held in fear of the next moment. We are the ghosts walking in plain sight"

-King Bonk (King Bonk's campfire podcast)
  11. Evil_demonesss Ghost

Message Count:
    I live in Traverse City and I have been to the "Hippie Tree" more times then i can count! to be honest, I love the State Hospital grounds i know the trails by heart, but I usually go by night. If you were hearing noises it might of been just people messing around too, I know that the people who live on the grounds sometimes just go to the trails to mess with people, I have done it myself. If you heard a crashing noise there is a apple tree just at the end of the tree next to a platform, the apples drop often and if you do not know the area, it just might freak you out. I have seen ghosts at the state hospital so ii am not saying thats not what it was but i have never felt threatened by them and i have felt them before also. During this last summer it was about July 12th i would say By boyfriend and my best friends were with me and we were next to the gardeners old house, run down now of course but suddenly there was no wind, we started to see our breath, there was no sound or movement from the woods, no leaves moving in the wind NOTHING but in the distance we could see the american flag in the parking lot moving in the wind, odd there was none there. My boyfriend had his back to the woods and my friend and I were facing him and suddenly there was a face of an older man behind his left shoulder and my friend and i reacted at the same time describing what it looked like at the same time so we couldnt be coping each other. we decided it was time to leave because shortly after i sadly got a phone call from my mother and her being worried. so we started to walk back, we were parker by the old slaughter houses so we had a little walk but on the way my hand went deathly cold, by bones burned and hurt when i moved them, it was only my right hand though, i told my friend to feel it and she got worried, by boyfriend took hold of it and said a spell that seemed to vanish it. what we believe that happened is that the face from what we've seen by pictures we've searched belonged to the senior gardener and that possibly on the way back his son was guarding me and protecting me as we walked back because I myself work in a greenhouse and as I am native american i was blessed with a name- Little Flower. This did not freak me out or anything. i was at the state hospital and at the grounds at least 3-4 times a week during the summer so if any of you all feel a need maybe I'll see you around.
  12. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

You know, that site is on my 'Wish I could go there' list and with any luck, I may bump into you. It is a fascinating place..

M!
  13. Solan Ghost

Message Count:
    I have lived in Traverse City all my life and have heard everything about the Old State Hospital and the Hippie Tree. But I've never been to the Tree itself. It's something I really want to check out! Also, I know it's going to sound like I'm taking inspiration from the new movie Shutter, but I'm not. I've been interested in Ghost photography ever since my Freshman year in High School (and I haven't even seen that movie XD). So, I was thinking that the Hippie Tree would be the best place to try and capture images, right? After all, if it really is a Gateway to Hell, then something should show up in at least one photo if I take the usual 200 that I do when i get interested!

My one slight problem is that I don't visit the grounds much and I don't know where the tree is located. I could go to Stella's and ask them, but I would prefer to know before I go. It's better to be prepared, in my oppinion! I'm going to take two of my best friends along for the trip, 'cause I definantly don't want to go alone!

Also, I wanted to test other myths. I need to see if it's true that bottles of Holy Water burst and Rosery strings sever near that place. After all, if you look...you're sure to find something. Even if it's not exactly what you were looking for.

So if anyone could mark the location on a map, and maybe give me a few directions before I head off and look on my own...it would be great! And of course I'll post some photos when I'm finished! I'm not just going to leave this thread after I get some information!

~Solan
  14. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:

Already been there, and will be going back...

Aside from the myths and ghost stories, the place is a phenomenal structure rich in history. Too many people assume asylums have "gates to hell" and all sorts of other fun ghost doors and whatnot. It's a shame people don't look into the history to realize that there really wasn't anything bad, evil or negative going on when the hospitals were open, so why would there be so many gates to hell?

I dealt with the same thing with Dixmont. Easily proved many people wrong because too many people want and need to believe the Hollywood type ghost stories.
  15. Solan Ghost

Message Count:
    Well, I can't say that nothing bad ever happened there. Medicine back in those days required lots of physical pain. But I agree on the rest! I don't think there really is a gateway to hell there, which is why I'm out to test it!

Now I believe in ghosts for personal reasons, but I don't think anything very malicious is in the Old State Hospital grounds. So here's my theory: if I get a photo or some sort of interaction there, it's proven for me. If I don't get any photograph and no interaction; if my rosery remains intact and Holy Water stays put, then there's too much hype about the place. But I do think that there are WAY to many stories for the all to be false. I wouldn't be surprised if there are ghosts, in fact I expect them! :) I'd just like to get to the tree first! :D

~Solan
  16. Becky76 Ghost

Message Count:
    Don't get me wrong, Solan, those places are actually quite actively haunted. Once you get to know me, you'll know that anything that exploits ghosts, haunted locations, historic locations and investigators, those with abilities, etc., reallllllly rubs me the wrong way! I agree with you in reference to personal proof and experiences using common sense and being smart about it.

What I was getting at before, and I apologize if you or anyone else on this thread assumed I pointed the intent at you, is that I can't stand when people hear myths or the more exciting stories, and keeping those in mind, go to these places and that just happens to be what they experience. I believe people should go into an investigate with an open mind, less knowledge of the alleged haunted place, investigate and then do the research and interviews afterwards to see how much of the results correlates with the history and other personal experiences.

And yes, methods of what we would consider abuse today did take place in the hospitals back then. The thing is, at that time those people were not using those methods strictly to torture anyone. They actually believed that the techniques, such as hydrotherapy, shock therapy, etc. would cure those horrible "illnesses" such as anxiety, depression, TB. We have to keep in mind that it wasn't a disgusting place of torture, but what was used as treatment at that time period.
  17. Solan Ghost

Message Count:
    I know. :) Otherwise I wouldn't have called it medicine. And I'm going to set out tonight to snap some photographs! Of course, since I don't know where it is...I'll have to ask the people at the restaurant...but that's OK! And if nothing else, I'm a photographer, so I'll end up getting some awesome additions to my collection! I'll post some of the more interesting ones on this forum for anyone who's interested...though it seems that there are only two people (including myself) posting here now!

Well, I hope we can bring this thread back to life!

~Solan :cool:
  18. monte cristo Ghost

Message Count:
    Good luck! Can't wait to hear about your experience!
  19. japwalkstc Ghost

Message Count:
    I live right down the road from the old State Hospital. People mostly smoke pot out there at the Hippie Tree. I have the master keys from my young and crazy days.
  20. boeing gurl 787 Ghost

Message Count:
    Creepy... I did like your story though ^_^