Wampus cat sighting

Discussion in 'Ghost Stories' started by doktorhook, Sep 25, 2003.

1. doktorhook Ghost

Message Count:
    I'm not sure how many modern sightings of the wampus cat there have been. But I've seen the thing with my own two eyes. This story may seem a little far fetched but I asure you it's the truth. I my self would litteraly not have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. Without further ado I'll relate my experience. At the time that I saw the thing I was 13 or 14 years old, it was shortly after dusk and I was playing down in the basement with a couple of he man action figures.I freely admit that I have an active imagination now and that it was more so back then ( I'm 32 now ), however I've never had imaginary friends and I was a pretty level headed kid. At any, rate while playing I became aware of a movement off to my left side approximately 20 ft. away. Under normal circumstances I would have simply turned my head and looked to see what the movement was, however it was if something inside me knew that whatever the movement was, it was paranormal. So instead of looking directly at the thing I focused on it with my periphrial vision. Normally if you see something out of the corner of your eye it's there for only a second before it's gone. But this thing didn't disappear! It looked pretty much like a big black cat with one major differance, it walked on it's hind legs only! Now I'm not talking about the kind of walking that a trained cat can sometimes do on it's hind legs. This thing seemed comfortable walking like that as if it were it normal mode of movement. Here's the scary part though! As soon as I actually focused on this thing it stopped dead in it's tracks and slowly turned it's head toward me and then looked dead at me! It somehow knew that I had noticed it. It's eyes glowed similar to a cat's eyes but not exactly, they seemed to glow on there own much like neon green lights! That's when the hair on the back of my neck stood up ( I hadn't believed that possible before ) and I bolted upstairs like a streak of lightning! I told my parents and they actually went to investigate of course they found nothing but at least they believed me enough to look. I felt kind of ashamed to tell them because I only half believed what I had just witnessed. If anyone else has had experiences with the wampus cat I would be glad to talk with you.

Doktorhook
  2. GothBoy Ghost

Message Count:
    Very strange iv never even heard of on eof those before. But on a side note my friend was attacked by a cat spirit looked like cat acted like at cat and scratched like a cat she saw and ran it scratched her and dissapeared i even saw the marks...she has no real cats and she used to see that cat around when it was living. She also found it dead shortly after..i guess it didnt like her
  3. Maxium Ghost

Message Count:
    i was wondering if anyone Besides you have seen it?????????? and am not saying its not but i was reading in an article that they are over 2 million diffenert animales tht havent been discoverd so maybe that thing is one of them and i whould not want that thing to come near me ewww!!!!!!!! i have my only thing's to worry aout lol!!!!!!!!! but i bet you that that thing scared you crap less lol.

max

~$~MAxX~$~
  4. kadara Spirit

Message Count:
    Dear doktorhook,

Funny thing, this Wampus Cat. I had never heard of it, but when I read about it, it did two things. Sparked my curiosity, and a memory that has stuck in my head for years. Could this be the Wampus Cat???

When I was about nine, we went to Pentwater Michigan to visit family. That year, while we were there, we went to Grandma Lydia's house. She was my Godmother's mother-in-law. A very kind woman who loved to talk, and didn't seem to mind what age you were, she just liked people. I got bored while we were there, and decided that I would go outside and play. The surroundings of Grandma Lydia's house intrigued me, because where I was from, there wasn't sandy grounds, and tall, spindly pine trees. Grandma Lydia wasn't too far from the beach, and it was all flat ground. I decided to go exploring.
    I know my younger brother had to have been with us, but I don't remember him being with me when I went on this exploration. What I do remember was coming to a cool sandy path. I looked up to see where it led, and in the distance, I could see trees with no leaves on them, very close together, their branches bleached by the sun. In and amongst these branches was a black patch...and then I realizes that it wasn't just a patch of some sort, it was a very curious animal. Then it hit me... I identified it as a panther of some sort. That alone terrified me to no end. But as I stood there, with my eyes wide with disbelief, and my whole inner self trembling, I still couldn't help but wonder.... "Why is there a black panther in Michigan?"
    In all respects, it was smaller than the ones I had seen on television, and it looked odd to me, but I couldn't quite figure out why. I knew that these animals didn't populate this part of the country. And while I stood there, looking at this panther from about fifteen feet away, I had another horrible epiphany. "As soon as he smells me, he's going to eat me."
    Exactly at that moment, I remembered this panther turning it's head, and looking straight at me. My jaw dropped. Then I saw it move. And it wasn't just that it was moving, it was how it was moving. I noted that it was STEPPING down out of the branches, and it forelegs were helping to lower its body. The reason it had looked so odd to me is because it's legs hadn't been shaped like normal animal limbs. This thing had arms and legs..but it's head was inarguably a panther's. It undeniably moved like a normal human. Not at all like a panther. The eyes were what I remember most. I didn't see them glow. I saw them surveying me. It would look at me, and then the eyes would roll around in it's head until I could see the whites of them, and then they would dart towards me again. I think it was just as afraid of me as I was of it. All the time it crept out of the tree, lifting it's head to smell the air, and easing it's body out of the tree. Looking back, I always thought that this creature was trying to get away, but I wasn't brave enough to pursue it. I don't think anyone would have been. And even at nine, I knew that any animal that thought it was trapped would fight. That being that case, I knew I had a better chance of getting away if that thing stayed in the tree. And I also knew that once that creatures feet made contact with the ground, I would be next to make contact with it. So I bolted. I ran so fast I thought I would die of fright, because I had the terrified image of this panther closing in on me, and chasing me down. When I got back to Grandma Lydia's house, I sat on the floor next to my mother's feet, and just waited to go. I wanted to tell them what I saw, but I already knew that if I did that, I would probably get popped up the side of my head for lying. Which wasn't uncommon for me when I was a kid. When we got back home, in West Virginia, I started a club for my friends and I. A little thing called the Clue Club. It was your basic run of the mill rip off of Scooby Doo and the gang, looking for clues to a mystery. Our ever elusive phantom...was the Panther Man.
    In all truth, I have no idea if the thing was male or female. I didn't get close enough to get those details. I was too afraid. But body language is universal, and I knew this thing would tear me a new ass if it got a hold of me. I never saw it again, and when I would tell my friends about what I saw, it was so fantastic, they would just say, "Wow." What do you say to someone that saw a panther that walked like a human? Exactly!
    I am much older now. And I still have this memory. It's one of the most vivid in my childhood memories. I replay it and try to make sense of it sometimes. And sometimes, I wonder why it was there. How it came to be... And sometimes, when I think about what I saw, and I remember the way that thing moved out of the branches like a liquid shadow... I wonder .
    I wonder if it remembers me.

If it looks like a ghost, and it scares like a ghost, then dangit, it's a ghost!!!
  5. andhow5 Ghost

Message Count:
    Kadara!

I've wondered where you've been! It's WONDERFUL to hear from you again! And your experience - WOW! That's creepy. I would've hauled ass as well. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, and next time don't stay away so long, you hear me?

Message Count:
    I know that the wampus cat has been sighted around knoxville, about 100 miles west of me, but I don't know about Indiana. I know I have been to indiana and have seen a ghost with my own two eyes. But I posted a message on the ghost talk forum, about a place called "the pit". When my friend and I were about 10 years old we saw this thing that was climbing a rock wall, and it wasn't no man. It looked like a dog, but it could have been the wampus cat. We never got to see the thing walking around on 2 legs though. I know that there is a big cave system, that is supposed to link up with the pit, and me and my friend plan to venture through it sometime, this fall/winter to see if it actually links up to this place, and maybe see if there are some kind of remains i.e. bones or stuff from this thing, considering it has not been seen in 12+ years. So I believe you when you say that you saw this thing, because I have seen this creature, and I don't know what it was. The creature somehow always knew we were there. This one time we were raking his yard when it was fall, and we used to dump the leaves and sticks into the pit, and I took a garbage can full of leaves up there, and I swear to god, this black, furry-clawed hand came up out of a hole around the edge and tried to grab my leg. I fell to the ground and was frozen with fear. I couldn't scream, or anything. I felt like some helpless teenage girl in a hack and slash horror movie. I was crawling away, and finally I snapped out of it, and was able to go get my friend, but by the time we got back, it of course was gone. But you should check out my post, and see if it was similar to anything you saw.

KPTKNGHTMRE
  7. kadara Spirit

Message Count:
    Sorry I've been away for so long. School is demanding, and I am going full time this term. I have been keeping tabs on your guys though. I surf through sometimes without logging on. But I had some spare time, so I dropped a few lines. (Okay more than a few! But hey, you know me!!)
    KingsportKnightmare, I would love to read the post that you put up. I don't suppose by any chance you could post the title so I could go and read it. I am interested in any information about the Wampus Cat. I never really knew what the thing was. I just had a really strange memory of seeing an unidentifiable animal in Pentwater, Michigan.
    Now, I can only imagine what my friends or relatives are gonna say when they see this post. LOL! "Oh boy! What now? OH! An animal that walks like a man! First ghosts, now Big Foot! No! A cat creature!! What's next!"
    LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who else has seen this thing???

Best wishes,
    Kadara

If it looks like a ghost, and it scares like a ghost, then dangit, it's a ghost!!!
  8. Minu Spirit

Message Count:
    [IMG]

Wow!

These entries are HAIR-RAISING!

Being that these incidences are so spread out, I'm guessing that there must be alot more than ONE of these 'wampus' creatures out there...

I'm very anxious to read more accounts.

Thanks (huhuhuhhhgghhhh--sort of! [IMG] ), for sharing everyone!

Minu
  9. Linsey Ghost

Message Count:
    This is so weird, but I've never heard of this creature before!! lol But I can say one thing for certain: If I had seen it, I would have ran like the wind LOL

Can anyone post any links about this creature? I'd love to read more about it....pretty please, with sugar on top?? [IMG]

Thanks!
    L

"I do what the voices in my head tell me to do..."
  10. doktorhook Ghost

Message Count:
    All you have to do is put in wampus cat in your browser and hit enter and it will pull of several sights. however alot of them deal with basketball teams and airplanes from WWII which were named after the creature. As to what the creature is I tend to think it's a type of fay or fairy creature of north america. If you look at some fairy legends or folklore dealing with fairies and their kin it resembles some of them. The thing may have been stalking me as one story suggests that it eats cattle and young children. In any case the thing I saw wasn't physical in any way or it could'nt have simply vamished in my basement. Consequently some of the legends also suggest that it prefers to live underground ( like many fairies ), and close to water ( once again like many fairies ). Both of those things fit the description of my basement since a. it was underground & b. there was an old water cistern in my basement ( it was to the right of were I was sitting).

Doktorhook
  11. traveler Ghost

Message Count:
  12. KingsportKnightmare Ghost

Message Count:
    Kadara my post is on the 4th page of ghost talk, called the pit. Enjoy

KPTKNGHTMRE
  13. teen_Ghost_Rider Ghost

Message Count:
    Hey, I’m new to this site this is site is very interesting site with stories… But the Wampus cat I am real interested in. I live on a farm in a place called Wales and we keep sheep on the farm, about two years ago sometime in august 6 of our sheep got attacked but I’ve never seen these kinds of attacks before on sheep, whatever attacked the sheep eat every single one of them leaving nothing left behind only the wool and bones no blood on the grass, no guts I am sure you get the picture by now, And it took it to do all that in less than an hour. Even the wool was ripped off neatly and left in one pile, which is impossible without wool cutters, the attacks was so bad that we phoned the police up then they come over and see the attacks they said it was some farm dog but no dog could do that, most people say it’s a wild cat like a puma, panther and so on but after reading all the forums I am starting to believe it could be that of the Wampus cat, Or maybe it’s just me? There have been other attacks mostly on cows, sheep and horses there has been one report where some kid has had he’s head scratched by a wild cat, Apparently he needed stitches on he’s face would a Wampus attack a human? Could Wampus come all the way from America to the UK? I would love to read your replies about the story…

I’ve still got photos of the dead sheep ill be more than happy to show you if you’re interested in seeing them.
  14. doktorhook Ghost

Message Count:
    Think of it this way teen. In one of my posts I suggested that the wampus cat may be a type of nature spirit. I think that this is highly likely given the fact that it isn't a corporeal creature. In fact may be a member of the faery kingdom. Similar to a bogey, pookah, or any other of the mischievious fay. Now even though I saw this thing with my own 2 eyes, I can't say how this thing actually kills, if it does at all. But given the nature of the creature, which is incorporeal, I feel it is unlikely that it could cause direct physical harm. Of course there are legends that suggest otherwise and I could simply be wrong. As for traveling from america to britain, I too feel that this is unlikely, However, you may have the equvilant type creature that exist there too.Perhaps the black hounds that are frequently spotted on the british Isles. After all didn't the authorities say that a dog had killed your farm animals?
    A very large black, spectral, mastiff would seem to be a good candidate. In any case I hope this was able to help in some way.
    Peace to all

Doktorhook
  15. Mulder Spirit

Message Count:
    Not unless he got himself a Club Class Ticket with British Airways.

There are lots of ABC (Alien Big Cat) sightings around in Wales at the moment, particularly in Carmarthenshire. Puma and Panther have both been reported, and it could-well be one of those.

Keep your eyes peeled on the BBC Wales Today regional news program. They often have reports of ABC sightings.

Read Mulder's Diary - http://www.livejournal.com/users/most_haunted/
  16. teen_Ghost_Rider Ghost

Message Count:
    Thanks for that doktorhook. Yes we might have our own sort of mysterious cat…. I couldn’t imagine a very black large dogs killing all 6 sheep and eating them all…. There are some mastiffs over here and I went up to see the owner of the dogs and he said it would have taken a month for that dog to eat all the sheep....So i guess it's just the wild cats.
  17. Corynth Ghost

Message Count:
    Hmm. Wampus cat sounds alot like Puss In Boots (old childrens Faerie Tale). Mind you, most old tales have a sparkle of truth.

I myself have seen a spectral cat, but I doubt that it's the Wampus. Since I've moved to Tallahassee (Florida), I keep seeing a cat at night. It's not frequent sightings or anything. Just every once in a while. It's a dark cat, but not black. More like a tabby (dark grey). It's not everly large but just normal cat-sized. Ordinarily, I'd have thought it was just a normal cat, but I've never seen it directly. Just out of the corner of my eyes. I always seem to see it near my feet (almost about to trip over it). Whenever I look directly, it's never there. I think I've seen this cat about 8 times now in 2 different houses. He has never stood upright.

-- Corynth

Knowledge is never dangerous.
  18. disneyshm Ghost

Message Count:
    what is a wampus cat?

When you love someone, put their name in a circle, not in a heart, cuz hearts can be broken, but circles go on forever.
  19. Saswalo Ghost

Message Count:
    Disneyshm,
    Was wondering the same thing myself so I took a look at the links provided by Traveler. Fascinating stuff!

Taveler: Thanks for the links, I was kind of struggling to find anything. Was like looking for a Wampus Cat in a giant haystack!

[IMG]
  20. Chula6971 Ghost

Message Count:
    <center>I had never heard of the Wampus Cat until I read this post, but this story sounds very similiar to a story I heard from S. California.
    I can't remember the name of the monster I think it was the Billy Whack Monster, but anyhow he's supposed to be located up heading towards Ojai (pronounced oh - hi) as you're heading out from Santa Paula.
    This monster is supposed to live in an abondened Dairy Mill, and if you go up to the gates of the Mill or Farm..not to sure which, it causes him to come out from the Mill/ Farm and will try to kill you for being on his property..or something like that.
    Either way the same theory goes with this thing as goes for the Wampus Cat. I know my memory sucks donkey cajones..lmao. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Also if anyone can find or knows of the story that I'm rambling on about can you let me know, cause I've spent way to much time on the net trying to find the story or at least something close.</center>

<center>[IMG]</center>
    <center>Happy Halloween</center>