What symbolism does a butterfly mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by redwolf_lady, Jun 9, 2008.

1. redwolf_lady Ghost

Message Count:
    Okay this was really crazy. We had our annual kids fishing derby today and being that it is located very close to the new nursing home my Papaw is in I had planned on visiting him after we finished at the derby. My husband had just cleaned out the closet and wanted to give some dress pants and dress shirts to my papaw.

So when we arrived at the lake I was taking my camping chairs out the bags to set them up, I looked down and there was the biggest pretty butterfly hanging out on my arm, I looked at it and thought Oh it smells the sweet pea lotion I have on and thinks I am a flower. Of course my son noticed it too just as it flew away. Just as we were discussing the butterfly it came back and rested on the same arm for quite a bit. It was so beautiful. Grey, and brown almost like a moth but truly a butterfly. It stayed right around for about 20 minutes before leaving for good. But on its way out it decided to land on my daughters shoulder and then flew away never to be seen again.

My grandmother passed away when I was 17 and my grandpa has missed her terribly ever since. His condition has deteriorated in the past month and it pains me to see him in this condition. His mind is gone on most days and he didnt know who I was or my kids. He kept a close eye on Cole the whole time we were there and even teared up watching him. I am not sure what or who he was thinking about as he watched him. Cole resembles my brother a lot when he was boy but my dad was an only child. I do not know if he was thinking this was my brother, my dad or just the thought of his own youth long passed. I could not sit there without crying as I watched him focus on my son and then nod off and drool on himself. It was very upsetting. I thought of my own father and how watching his dad's mind dwindle away must be heart wrenching. It must be very hard and why he only spends about an hour each time he visits but could see him 4 or 5 times a day.

My grandmother has always been around since her passing most of the older members in here have read my stories about her spirit and my kids. They know her and never met her in human form. They know she passed away when i was 17 and my son knows she is in Heaven. This butterfly made me wonder if this was her knowing I was going to see him today. Or if this was a sign that my papaws light was getting ready to burn out and he soon would be joining my grandmother. Either way I think this was a sign for something.

Most of the info I have read about it has a similar meaning of "soul" in different cultures which was what i was feeling as it landed on my arm the second time. Japanese culture it means something different "young maidens and marital bliss" This is not what I am feeling right now so I scratched that belief right away. Chinese a butterfly means " long life or young men in love" In ancient mythology, the butterfly stands for wisdom and everlasting knowledge. Just not really feeling any of those explanations.

So what is your belief on the symbolism of the butterfly?
  2. melissa77 Ghost

Message Count:
    well do you have any special memories regarding butterflies, or did your grandmother or someone else who passed away hold them dear, or anyone or anything or any time else you could associate with a butterfly?

were you thinking of any specific at that exact moment? if you were thinking of your grandpa and that happened, it could mean something like life is fleeting and gone in a blink of an eye, but yet so beautiful, something to be treasured, no matter how little time we have. to enjoy the beauty of life's little things, because truly that's all life really is.
  3. melissa77 Ghost

Message Count:
    well do you have any special memories regarding butterflies, or did your grandmother or someone else who passed away hold them dear, or anyone or anything or any time else you could associate with a butterfly?

were you thinking of any specific at that exact moment? if you were thinking of your grandpa and that happened, it could mean something like life is fleeting and gone in a blink of an eye, but yet so beautiful, something to be treasured, no matter how little time we have. to enjoy the beauty of life's little things, because truly that's all life really is.
  4. tru2blu4u Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Butterflies.. When we see them.. they are actually in the end cycle of their lives.. They have already went through their own stages from egg, to larva.. to Pupa.. then to emerge as an adult in all it's beautiful glory.. when they are truly free.. for a short time before they die.
    Kind of sad..because when I see them I know their end is near.

No one really pays attention to them until they get to the end stage. they just go on with their lives as they are supposed to.. not really noticed.. then with all their strength.. they transform into something really noticeable.. like a last stand for attention.. then they are gone.

Which is why I think people always equate them with spirits..They signal the end.. they are beautiful and free... And I don't think I have ever seen a butterfly that was afraid of anything.
  5. kachisa Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Red,

Before my best friend passed, we had talked about life after death and decided, if it was possible, she would come to me and tell me she was gone. She passed early morning, around 3 am, I had a conversation with her in my sleep and we were talking about butterflies. She told me that everytime I saw a butterfly, it was her coming by to say hello.

We often see a beautiful, pure white butterfly in our backyard. It swoops by us a couple of times and then flutters away. (Which is important, since Paula used white light a lot to heal)

Butterflies have a very special place in my heart, and I always think of my friend Paula.
  6. Returned Spirit

Message Count:
    "Transformation"

I would suggest, with a leaning toward the delicate side of persuasion, that you put your present "feelings" slightly off to the side for now, make a copy of your post for later scrutiny as well as comparison, and give this
    link page tag a read through (possibly a bookmark). You may find it thoughtful, informative, and useful for you in understanding something of why this creature and relative symbol seem worthy of note (or of a post in this case).
  7. SidewaysGlance Spirit

Message Count:
    I don't have much to add to what others have said, and I am not particularly perceptive, but I did want to tell you that as I read your post I immediately thought of new beginnings as well as the transient nature of this life. If the appearance of the butterly is a sign, it's a lovely way to send a message...even if the message itself is difficult to accept.

Good thoughts to you and your family as you support your papaw.
  8. ChrisAnna Spirit

Message Count:
    I can't believe I forgot to tell you all this. After Chris' grandfathers funeral, we were all over at his aunts house. We were out on the back deck and this huge butterfly began flitting around the family members gathered there. As I was thinking of this post, it flew over to Mimi and landed on her shoulder. Someone shooed it way and it circled her a couple fo times and then landed on her shoulder again. I teared up a little thinking of PawPaw. Does make one pause to think.
  9. redwolf_lady Ghost

Message Count:
    How strange. Yes they were everywhere plain white ones in our front yard yesterday when the kids were out skating.

Now you were in Mason right? How were the cicadas? My cousin just went to King's Island over the weekend and my daughter lives in Blue Ash and they said the cicadas were as bad as they were four years ago. They said when they got in their vehichles it was like leaving a rock concert the ringing in their ears was so bad. Did you encounter them Chrissy?

I thought the cicadas only came around that bad every 17 years? Wonder whwy they are so bad when they just showed up four years ago.
  10. ChrisAnna Spirit

Message Count:
    Yes, we were in Mason and Loveland. And the cicadas were EVERYWHERE. Bug noisy horrid creatures they are. The storm that blew in Sunday night blew them out of the trees and they were all over me.

The worst was down at (forgive me if I get the name wrong) Little Caesar Gorge. They were practicalls swarming. Not as bad when we were at the castle, but still since we were near the water I think they were worse there!
  11. MADDY Ghost

Message Count:
    butterflies (to me) mean change and transformation.
  12. LoriLynn Spirit

Message Count:
    Peace to you.

When I read your begining post, all I could feel was "Final Change" but it's deeper than that. (and i know nothing about the butterfly as far as symbolism.)

I also see something to the effect of "A Queen in all her beauty and knowledge." (A wisdom like feeling)

(Which to me, would represent possibly your grandmother, whom has crossed and knows more than all of us now.)

Peace to you.