why do ghost hang out in bathrooms?

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by sureshot, Aug 26, 2007.

1. sureshot Spirit

Message Count:
    I hear alot of things about bathrooms being haunted.
    ANY ONE KNOW WHY?
    Is it the water,and pipes that conect to the source.?

A few years ago.
    My mother dog past away. In the bath room there is a outline of the dogs face, its indented to the wall that is paint.
    I dont have a photo and to this day I wish I did. I was in my young teen days. But again BATHROOM why there?

ANY ONE?
    Thanks.
  2. glaelynn Ghost

Message Count:
    I, too, hear about many stories about ghosts haunting bathrooms. Maybe its because bathrooms have mirrors in them and of course we have all heard about how mirrors make a great portal for ghosts to travel through. Also if ghosts do no want to be detected, they try to blend in with the cold surroundings. Or possibly its got to do something with the water but that isnt within my ghost training...
    -Glaelynn
  3. odin343434 Spirit

Message Count:
    This has been discussed before. My thoughts on it...

If we assume real ghosts:

Bathrooms are accident traps. Death when not ready as opposed to someone sick slowly passing in bed when they knew it was coming and prepared their spirit for weeks.

More logical explanations though:

-Bathrooms tend to be small. Close proximity to electrical outlets and wiring. POSSIBLE causes of feelings of paranoia.

-Often when we're in the bathroom, we're naked or have our pants down around our ankles. We're vulnerable and we know it. The bumps in the night are a little freakier because you're already on edge at some level of your mind.

-Often tiled, patterned tiles no less. Ceramic tiling tends to reflect light and if they tiles have patterns or texture, lights can reflect in strange ways.

-Mirrors. Mirrors just freak us out. A car passing by, light comes in living room window. Innocent enough when you're in the living room, but in the bathroom mirror... creepy!

-Moisture. Door closed + hot shower = steam. Steam equals decreased visibility and altered visibility.

-Glasses. Tied to several others, we take our glasses off. Our vision is automatically reduced causing further visual issues with all of the other factors. We also feel more vulnerable without our glasses.

In the end, I don't think there really is anything signifigant about bathrooms that make them more/less haunted than any other room in the house. We just freak out a little bit more when we here a creek than we do when we're in the bright living room.

Think about where all the ghost stories start. Bathroom, basement, attic, bedroom (at night), the woods, on the railroad track bridge, all places where for one reason or another we're already scared to some degree.
  4. Daniella Ghost

Message Count:
    Oh yes, this is so true.
    Mirrors show so much -I've seen some pretty oddish things looking into dark mirrors. The window (a gateway, if you will) to the other side...just ask Alice..=)

Excellent observations, Odin...=)
  5. james c Spirit

Message Count:
    Ghosts hang out in bathrooms? Oh, Crap!

jc
  6. lols Ghost

Message Count:
    Maybe its because when your in a bathroom your ushually alone and its quieter.
  7. Angelpower1962 Ghost

Message Count:
    very interesting question, one that has never crossed my mind before..but now that it is a raised question, I will post what I think...I think it has to do with Water, since water is a natural source of energy, and spirits are nothing more than that, they attract to one another, and it makes it easier to come through in the bathroom.
  8. Daniella Ghost

Message Count:
    Ah...water being a conduit for spirits...very keen of you you, Paula.
    Absolutely true.
  9. Angelpower1962 Ghost

Message Count:
    yup, plus mirrors too, made of glass, which again is a natural source of engery, not man made...see, I do got some smarts...oh the thought!:eek::D
  10. BluePhoenix Ghost

Message Count:
    Good question ^_^'
    Hrm... I suppose a skeptic would say that the water and moisture is getting into the joints/walls/woodwork of the house a lot more often in a bathroom, since the bathroom is one of the most damp places in the house - this might cause a lot more creaks and stuff than normal.

- There's also the whole thing about turning on taps and pipes or whatever it is making that "clunk" noise a few times, which travels down the pipes.

- Cold spots may be attributed to the fact that the toilet (and this is going to sound silly) is connected to the outside, and the bathroom is normally ventilated from the outside too, so it would be a safe bet that cold air would get in a lot easier. - this is also a possible explanation for small gusts ect.

A beleiver might suggest that when you're in the bathroom, taking a bath, having a shower, winding down the day could be because you're more relaxed there, and your energy is probably increased due to this - making it easier to access to whatever may feed off it.
    (I don't think that ghosts feed only on fear... I think thats a bit clique and gives the impression that all ghosts are negative beings which is untrue(though fear may be easier for the negative entities to feed on)- but I may be wrong, please feel free to tell me if I am wrong)

also, and i may be wrong with this too;
    there's the fact that a lot of, if not most techniques to see purposefully see entities are in essence relaxation techniques... relaxation is said to open your mind, and in some faiths allow you to reach a higher plane of thought, or enlightenment if you will.

both of these in mind, perhaps you see more entities in the bathroom just because you're more open to it then.

I've never actually heard a story that involves seeing a ghost that starts "i was sitting on the loo when...."
    most of them seem to occur in the shower or bath, or as i said, winding down the day....

anyways, this is my first suggestion to something on here about this stuff, so i hope i at least got something right, as long as it's not about me being wrong >_>
  11. odin343434 Spirit

Message Count:
    No, that's why I hang out in the bathroom. I don't think that ghosts have to worry about crap anymore :D
  12. Misty_Kay Ghost

Message Count:
    Perhaps it's just the pervert ghost :D
  13. JosephtheLibertarian Ghost

Message Count:
    Get an EVP instrument and ask them "Why do you ghosts like the bathroom so much?" :D
  14. BluePhoenix Ghost

Message Count:
    You never know....
    All I can say on this matter is that I'm glad no ghost in the bathroom has ever felt the need to make me acknowledge their presence through smell!
  15. Laddihawke Ghost

Message Count:

Odin,

Loved your explanations! Being somewhat of a skeptic, I thought your observations were very rational, and well thought out! And I agree with Dani - there is just something spooky about a mirror - any mirror! LOL
  16. moonburn Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Bathrooms are usually away from the energetic interference of the rest of the house/immediate surroundings. It's easy to keep a steady, stable vibe going in a bathroom. They're safe little nests, basically. At least that's what I've observed.
  17. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

The more things change, the more they remain the same!

This question came up a couple of years ago and some of us ventured that the bathroom is the place in the house where you are most vulnerable, where you should be ensured privacy, and where you have every right to not expect nor tolerate any invasion into that privacy.

Perhaps this vulnerability makes you very aware of things happening around you, sounds from beyond the locked door! If you are alone in the house, you are VERY aware of any indication that there is activity around you, especially if you in the confined space of a shower.

Then there are all the physical characteristics that are unique to bathrooms, the mirrors, the moisture, that sort of thing.

It is an excellent question.

Muriel!
  18. odin343434 Spirit

Message Count:
    I'll take a smell over EVER being "slimed" by a ghost in my bathroom with an upset stomach :eek:
  19. annietaylor Ghost

Message Count:
    lol, i've always wanted to know this, too! it does seem like they like bathrooms!
  20. BadBoy Ghost

Message Count:
    Ghost might hang out in bathroom because they might have to use them. Who knows.
    They might just want some quite time by them selfs, or they might just be a pervert. If I was a ghost the shower seems like a good place to hang out. Better then some old basement. I would want to be In a room where a lot of people goes so I could scare the S*** out of them.