Why Do People See Ghosts?

Discussion in 'Paranormal' started by timhowellssgt, Nov 9, 2009.

1. timhowellssgt Ghost

Message Count:
    Why do people see ghosts? Do we see them simply because they are there? Or are they there for a reason,to perhaps tell us something? Several times over the last few months I have seen people I know are dead, or think I saw them. One I knew personally and 2 that I knew in passing or had worked with. The 1 I knew I saw across the parade ground but close enough that I recognized him. the other 2 I have seen more than once in various places. I sleep well, I don't have bad dreams that I recall. We are given a psych evaluation each time we deploy or return and I pass. So why all of a sudden do I see dead people.
  2. DEADPsalm Spirit

Message Count:
    People “see” ghosts because they are sensitive to the energy of the ghost. Most often they are simply there and likely always have been there. Some ghosts do have a purpose or message intended for the witness; in such cases a ghost tends to be more direct and insistent rather than standing off in the distance.

I suggest you have always been sensitive to ghosts but something recent has “triggered” your awareness of this sensitivity. Strong emotions and/or traumatic events are often associated with a person recognizing their sensitivity to paranormal things.
  3. BadBoy Ghost

Message Count:
    I agree DP and there Is not a lot more that I can add'
    The spirit Is the energy in us and when the body this energy remains. For what ever reason sometimes this energy gets stronger. sometimes It gets weaker. When thei energy Is at a strong point then we can see it.
    I beleive we are like a receiver. Once we get tuned in to the right waves we can see spirits at their strong point and maybe be only to feel them when they are at a weak point.
    People get tuned in to spirits In efferent way. some though Illness and others though meditation. and though playing around with the paranormal. Some medications can even cause a person to become more sensitive to spirits.
  4. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Good Morning..

Well, an interesting question.

Deadpalm and BadBoy have explained what ghosts are, at least the theory of what ghosts are. They are energy, which you learned in high school physics can nether be created nor destroyed. This could conceivably be a person's soul, which of course never dies, but that is a whole other discussion.

When people die, they sometimes move on into the next realm without much of an issue, especially if they had known death was coming and passed quietly and peacefully. On the other hand, if they had died violently, tragically, or suddenly, they might well find themselves in a sort of limbo, totally confused about where they are, how they got there, what to do about it and where to go from here. This may explain why sometimes apparitions are seen at the scene of traffic deaths, drownings, that sort of thing.

Spirits choose to remain on this plane for a variety of reasons. There may be something, to their minds at least, vitally important left undone, information not shared, and that is preventing them from moving on. Tragically sometimes a spirit is desperately seeking someone to whom s\he was bonded in life, but has lost. Mothers sometimes spend decades seeking children who have long since gone, but are unable to move on until she and they are united. These spirits are among the saddest.

Guardian spirits are among us, ancestors keeping an eye on their descendants as they would in life. This would partially explain why little children see grandmas and aunts whom they had never known, but whom they could identify from photographs. The other half of that explanation is that little kids are noted for being far more sensitive to spirits around them than we adults are.

Revenge and anger: If a person truly felt hurt or damaged by another, he might be bound to this plane by anger and a desire for revenge. You would not want to meet one of those. They are the guys you meet in abandoned prisons.

Attachment to a structure or item: Spirits who were very happy and contented in their homes will sometimes remain in them long after it is time to go. They may be very low key so only the most sensitive people would be aware of them, but on the other hand they may choose to take an active part in the day-to-day running of the home, much to the consternation of the living occupants. Little children who pass often continue to run and play where they were most happy in life. Often renovations to an old home will prompt them to make their approval or disapproval known.

Often a person will remain 'attached' to, and sometimes quite possessive of, a treasured item long after they have passed on. These items can range from bits of jewelery to grand pianos, and if they do not approve of the current owners, can make royal pests of themselves.

Light Workers: These are spirits who toggle between planes, helping confused and unhappy souls through.

Sometimes you will see what looks like a reenactment of an event, which could be as traumatic as a battle fought centuries ago, Roman soldiers marching through the cellars of a modern building on a level where the street level was in their time, monks long gone but continuing to respond to the call to vespers as they did centuries ago, or nurses continuing their quiet rounds of hospital wards long after they and their patients have passed on. These are not ghosts in the true sense of the word. Instead, as the theory goes, they are 'recordings' of these events that had been repeated over and over in life. The energies of these events were impressed into the bricks and mortar of the structures, the ground and air, and when conditions are just right, you get to witness these ancient activities. I think that is a gift.

There.. I think I shall stop now.. :rolleyes:

Muriel!
  5. ToonSkull Ghost

Message Count:
    My belief is people see them more often than not. However I think we tend to ignore them the same way people ignore the homeless asking for money. People in general don't look at what they don't want to see.

Sometimes it can be job related. My Mom worked in a graveyard for years as a maintenance worker. Although she hasn't worked there since 1989, the job had obvious side effects.

You can look at my pics here.

Also a paramedic has told me he knows when a rider will make it or not. He was at a bad wreck and saw the same guy who was trapped inside the vehicle standing in the crowd. Most nurses and staff won't openly admit it because they could lose their position.

Many people see or hear a ghost when the room is dim and quiet (I leave the TV on for noise) just a whisper or some movement out of the corner of your eye. That is how they get your attention and once you start taking notice it is impossible to stop. Most skeptics and doubters will dismiss it as Scrooge did. I tend to remain active and I only get quiet when I am trying to make contact with the dead. In the end the choice to listen or ignore them is up to the individual.

For those reading who actually want to see ghosts. One easy way to start is by building a Psychomanteum in a closet.

Vincent
  6. Jabhacksoul Ghost

Message Count:
    geez... Vincent! 2AM how the heck do you get up for school?

Back on to the subject, Tim asked Why not How to see a ghost. I suppose any answer is fair. But then again I am the doubting Thomas. IMO toonskull's methods are simple methods of trance induced hallucinations brought on by sensory deprivation.

The US Army experimented with sensory deprivation tanks floating your body in salt water at body temp to make you feel nothing, hear nothing, and see nothing. The mind runs rampant and begins to have waking dreams. But he and I have already gone round and round on this issue.

I prefer, should I see a ghost, to also have at least one other eye witness. Also some kind of technical data to support it. I don't count out all the EVPs or photos people present. But it would be nice to have more than one person witness an apparition.

As to why? If the dead linger on Earth as some believe then I would suspect they are stuck here with the belief they are not dead. Like the movie "The Others" the spirit is bound to a place and time. But my church teaches we go directly to Heaven or Hell no waiting.

Well I have a computer class waiting, and they need me to go teach it, no waiting for me either.
  7. Fullmoondolphin Spirit

Message Count:
    I have a bit to add to the good answers that have already been given here.

In my experience, spirits are not out there, up there, down there, over there - they are right here alongside us, simply on a different plane of existence. Some people are more sensitive to them than others, and spirits can choose who they want to see them or hear them, both of which lead to cases of one or two people in a group who will see or hear something, while no one else in the group does.

One reason why spirits choose to make themselves known, and in my experience, this tends to be the most common reason, is that spirits often visit people and places that they love. They are not earthbound, they simply choose to pop by and check up on their loved ones from time to time. Sometimes they have specific messages, but often they are simply visiting.

Many times spirits will still desire contact with people in the physical realm, especially after they have first passed. They are not always earthbound, but some have an easier time making the transition if they can maintain some contact now and then. Spirits can tell who is more sensitive to them, and will often be drawn to them. Sometimes people will see spirits of people they haven't known well - friends of friends, etc. They will wonder why they are appearing to them and will worry that they are trying to tell them something. In many cases, it's simply that they are not able to get through to their loved ones, and they need to know that someone has seen or sensed them, so they will come to someone that they have known (or not known, at times) who they know can sense their presence.

There are always spirits around us, but usually we are so busy with the physical life that we simply do not notice them, and it also depends on the natural sensitivity of a person. We don't see them all the time becuase we are here to experience and learn things on the physical plane - if we were meant to be interacting with spirits every moment, we would be there, not here. Those of us who work with them tend to experience them more than others, but we can also learn to control when we interact with them. There needs to be a balance - we still have this physical life to live and experience, and it's not healthy to spend all of our time immersed in the realm of Spirit.
  8. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    G'Mornin' Pam!

You are absolutely right, that spirits are all around us and that they pop in just to sort of observe and visit.

For me, I think there may be at least one who in life enjoyed a very sharp and curious mind, but who died long before the advent of computer technology. She pops into this room once in a while, fascinated by my computer and what I can make it do.

Furthermore, I think they do not wait until night to share this realm with us, to roam the hallways rattling their eternal chains. That sprang from the fertile imagination of Charles Dickens. They are here all the time as you say, but there is so much happening in the daytime that they tend to go unnoticed. It is night when darkness seems to trigger an acuteness in our senses to things we cannot see around the dark corner or in a darkened room, when every sound seems amplified. When the lights go out, we are very aware that things may be there in the dark that can see us, but that we cannot see. This may be a primal reaction dating back to the dawn of mankind.

I think when I die, there are a few people who will become believers quite quickly. (Years ago, I said that Silversunset and Jolly would meet me quite soon after I die. I wonder if I will be able to pull that off.. :eek:)

Muriel..
  9. Nero683 Spirit

Message Count:
    Very interesting...actually i like this topic. maybe this topic might help me a little bit that i might spot a ghost
  10. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hi..

Perhaps it will.

Would you like to see a ghost? If so, I suggest you just let it happen. Do not try summoning them, especially with a communication tool such as a Ouija Board. Just hang out and let it happen. Ghosts rarely appear on cue, but if you are in the right place at the right time.. BOO! An obliging ghostie just might pop in and introduce him/herself to you!

Muriel!
  11. Nero683 Spirit

Message Count:
    umm...what might be the right place? for example
  12. MurLag Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Hello,

For example? Well, that could be anywhere from your own living room on a bright sunny afternoon, or the spookiest cemetery on the foggiest night of the year.

They don't usually appear on cue, but if there is a spirit in your environment, and their likely is, and if that spirit chooses to manifest in some way, then you will see a ghost.

Or, you may not actually see a ghost. You may smell something that should not be there. There should be no lilac aroma in an old church in the middle of January, so if you smell that or something similar, and you are certain there is NO logical source, then you are very likely in the presence of a spirit. If you experience nothing more than a sensation, a visceral feeling that you are not alone, then you likely aren't.

FND made an excellent point. LIFE is to be lived and experienced. Do not spend a whole lot of your time looking for ghosts. If it is meant to be, they will find you.

M!
  13. Nero683 Spirit

Message Count:
    thanks for the explanation...i know thet its not good to look for ghosts my whole time...i got more important stuff to do to get a good living in the future
  14. ToonSkull Ghost

Message Count:
    I agree with Mur on the spiritboard (no luck with those) but as I said in a prior posting sit in a dim room in the quiet. No music, no tv, no distractions, fix your gaze upon something and don't look away. Even if you sense movement in the room don't look away. Some people use a large mirror or bowl of water to look into. Nostradamus use a bowl of water to gaze and get his visions of the future.

Like what? :D While my life does seem to be more spiritual than most I do have other activities. I am in for the winter months and here in Michigan that means indoor activities.

Vincent
  15. Nero683 Spirit

Message Count:
    Well like studying because im kinda bad at school at the time and i kinda nee to find a job to get money so i have to get busy
  16. ToonSkull Ghost

Message Count:
    Off Topic:
    Funny, I am IN school (library on the PC) but my grades aren't bad, my older brother's grades are in the toilet. I plan to attend college in 2012 while Josh (my bro) has no plans not even a job and he turns 18 this Spring. I know jobs are hard to come by but employers don't see your grades on the diploma. I wish you the best with your job hunt.

On Topic:
    If you still require personal help, I suggest you seek out a nearby Spiritualist Church here is the webpage of the one I attend off and on. More off than on ;) but they practice and teach sensing spirits in order to guide us through life and that could mean getting a job even.

These people run a basic Christian service and end with 'readings' they get from spirits. My teacher friend Mr. J (jabhacksoul on this forum) tells me they are misguided fanatics that give cold readings and are very generalized. HA beat the skeptic to the punch... :D However he has never attended a service although I did invite him.

Vincent
  17. BadBoy Ghost

Message Count:
    You are right. at your age developing good work and study habits is way more important then the paranormal. The paranormal will always be here when you take care of the important things in your life, then you can devote time to studding the paranormal If you wish. Good luck
  18. Dweller_6 Ghost

Message Count:
    Hi, I have something to say. Has anyone ever seen faces like in the trees. In the grass? In the sky. When this happends to me they are all bent and twisted. They are distorted? I don't know how to explain it. They are not solid and I know it's just probably my brain maybe not working right? But they are many and very tight together and not happy at all.

I don't take drugs or medication for anything. I don't see them all the time. It might happen just a few times a year.

Dylan
  19. Jabhacksoul Ghost

Message Count:
    I never called them fanatics, misguided yes, but I never said fanatic. As I told you before I don't need to jump off a cliff to know it hurts. I am aware the church members are nice people and believe they talk to the dead, but I would need some proof other than cold readings.

You are not crazy, this is a common occurrence called pareidolia it is the human mind's ability to make sense from random noise, images, and other stimuli. Such as this:

[IMG]

Just because this is the way our brain functions.

Yes, I agree too. I just wish I could convince toonskull of the same thing. Just because you have an above average IQ and you father has owns his a computer company you can't go chasing ghosts and have the same respect as others who must struggle to achieve their position in life. You should focus on your goals of college and serious business. This has no bearing on real life issues.

JAB
  20. Dweller_6 Ghost

Message Count:
    I am sorry, I have to disagree. I myself do not put much into the Pareidolia thing. So faces are the first thing we see and recognize. So what! I happen to think what I see is real. These faces will change expressions while I am watching! I am a reader, I love to read. Why do I not see words in the trees, letters? I have seen more of these than I ever seen faces. Why not numbers? Math equations? Automobiles? Aircraft? Motorcycles? Farm equipment? animals?

Why always faces and always blamed on this goofy pareidolia thing. Because a face is the first thing I saw as a baby and what I grew to know and recognize first? You mean to tell me if I was born in a cave and raised by a mother bear for several years, I would see bears faces instead of human faces? Do you really, really believe this?! This is goofy and has never made a bit of sense to me.

What I see is real, very real. It scares me and I have to look away. Because the faces I see are in torment. Maybe sometimes half a face or the eyes missing. I was not raised seeing faces that were all burnt and distorted. I was not born in a burn ward. My parents were not deformed of burn victims.

It can happen for only a few seconds and then it's gone. But it scares the crap out of me when it happens.

I believe spirits can take form from fog, rain, snow, light rays, dust, smoke (like when the towers fell) and just about anything like the weather in general.

When the towers fell? There were spirits of the victims everywhere! There were ancestors of those departed to help guide them to where they needed to go. There were also angels and demons about to claim souls. No wonder so many faces were seen. It's because there were so many there to see!

No one saw or took pictures of the dust and smoke taking the shape of refrigerators or Harley Davidson Motorcycles in the sky. Why not? Because there were none to see.

Sorry, I just don't think much of the pareidolia theory. No matter how many 'Smart, highly edumacated people' think it to be fact. When I see a 'face' It's just that, a face. Not paradiddiola.

Dylan