PERSONAL RESEARCH DONE BY MY FIANCEE SYLVIE, MYSELF AND A COUPLE OF MY NEWISH FRIENDS ANGELA WEIST - LOCAL HISTORIAN (MENTIONED IN SHADOW WALKERS ) AND YELENA MINO - LOCAL GHOST HUNTER AND MEDIUM : ON OUR PART OF THE WORLD IN GREENWICH ,CONNETICUT, USA : A HAUNTED PLACE : JUST A BIT: YOU MIGHT WANT TO VISIT IT IF YOUR A BIG GHOST HUNTER .... OR INTERESTED IN THE OCCULT ETC:
SINCE MOVING TO GREENWICH IN LATE 2008 :
My Fiancee Sylvie and Myself. Have been facinated by the amount of localized hauntings in and around Greenwich , the surrounding 'Burbs and countryside. Both of us having grown up and around ghosts and hauntings. We are seriously facinated in History and Spirits and Hauntings in and around the homes we live in both in the USA and France.... We have both posted (Ive posted her story online for her) stories of Childhood and Current Encounters... And Hauntings at our Homes and other interesting goings on that we have delt with. I usually have little time most of the year to do this work due to my Racing Commitments that drag me all over the world. But in the Boring Winter off season I spend much of my spare time researching goings on like this.
After meeting Angela Weist ( A Greenwich Local Born and Bred ) after our recent Haunting Experience (Re: Shadow Walkers) who helped us work out alot of the history of the area around the haunting and the site itsself. As Angela in Greenwich's Local Area Head Historian... And Folk Lore Historian. A smart Woman od her late 60's who is willing to help anyone out who has delt with many a odd occurance. And is a BIG BIG Ghost Hunter Herself. About 2 weeks ago she introduced us to another friend of hers Yelena Mino ( A Russian Born American Woman who Married Italian Born American Ghost Hunter DJ Giancarlo Mino who does our Local Radio Station "Haunted Sunday Night Special" Radio Program where people ring in to talk about their Ghosts and Encounters live on Air Radio Station "WKPL 99.5FM.- The Greenwich House Of Rock." ) who is a Ghost Hunter and Natural Spiritual Medium. Both Yelena , Giancarlo and thier twin Daughters Marcelle and Nicolla (21) have since to become part of our team to investigate local Hauntings with the idea of later opening our own HAUNTED GREENWICH WEBSITE.......This is a running Idea only currently. As very few of us have much spare time to run it. Its just a work in progress on paper only right now.... But we thought we would list some of the local Hauntings in Greenwich,CT.USA to boost interest hopefully in like minded ghost hunters and fans like ourselves..... That even a little place like ours has more than a Couple of Ghosts in it worth mentioning.
LOCAL HAUNTINGS ONE:
1/ St Augustine and Our Lady Madonna's Church Of Good Faith and Hall: (FEW BURNT AND DAMAGED RUINS AND GOOD STONE FOUNDATIONS):
NOW SITUATED ON FEILDMANS DOG WALKERS RESERVE : FORMERLY KNOWN AS BAERTYN ROAD ROUTE 5 :
As Mentioned in my story of SHADOW WALKERS....
GHOSTS: Read the Story for full Details. DUTCH LANGUAGE CHURCH.. OPENED 1831.
2/ R & A Wests & T. Campion (AKA Golden Bullock Auction House ) Slaughter House and Meat Works (last Registered Name) : (RUINS... CELLER HOLD ONLY) : LATER WAS USED AS A ANIMAL AUCTION HOUSE UNTIL FELL INTO RUINS AND TORN DOWN
SITUATED PARTLY IN THE FEILDMANS DOG WALKERS RESERVE : FORMERLY KNOWN AS BAERTYN ROAD ROUTE 5 : ADDRESS LISTED AS : Lot 27-35 Hollow Feild , Baertyn Road Route 5 A: Railway Siding was listed as Baertyn Road Station.
Mentioned in Update of Shadow Walkers : Read That Page for details of Place and Time Slaughter House was Open .
HAD SEVERAL OWNERS AND NAMES OVER THE YEARS :
GHOSTS : Said to be Haunted by Several Workers who Died there over the Years mostly in Accidents 4 in Machinary , 2 in a Floor Collapse and 1 that was Gored the Death by a Mad Bull.
ALSO: Mentioned that over several years people in nearby farms have seen and heard many ghosts and spirits of various animals who were put through the Slaughter House over the Years... Several Sightings of a Large Black Bull with Feirce Red Eyes is said to have been seen the most over the years. Other sighting include a Man on a Dark Colored Horse seen usually early Morning near the old Railway Siding (Said to be one of the Origianal Owners ), And a Cow and small Calf covered in Blood around their Necks and Legs seen standing near near the old Kill Pen Cattle Chute (Which little is Left of Now only part of the Cute.).
WARNING : DO NOT GO HERE LATE AT NIGHT OR IN POOR LIGHT THEIR IS A OPEN CELLER HOLD!! MOSTLY HIDDEN IN VERY TALL WEEDS!! It cant be seen until you just about fall into it..... So be careful!
3/ Brown's Lake Reserve and Recreational Park : (OLD SPORTS CLUB STILL OPEN : AVAIDABLE TENNIS COURTS , BASKETBALL COURT, BASEBALL DIAMOND ):
Listed Address Of Reserve and Recreational Parks : Brown's Lake Reserve , 200 - 216 Upper Pemberwick Road, Pemberwick , Greenwich,CT.
Opened in Around 1921. On the North Side of Brown's Lake which is a Great place to Fish in Summer.... But I wouldnt recommend Swimming the water is Filthy. The Sports Club Still Holds School Holidays Sports Clinics and Team Sports to Join. Used to be a Roller Rink in the Reserve too But it Burnt Down in the late 1980's when a Electrical Fault set the Roof alight. It couldnt be saved and wasnt popular enough anymore to be rebuilt. Only Part of the Roller Rinks Foundations Remain.
GHOSTS : Ghost of First Owner Henry Meyter Brown is said to Haunt the Cafe Part of the Sports Club the Rear of what is now the Kitchen of the Cafe used to be his office . (The Cafe used to be in an adjoining Building that is now the Sports Clinic School). People over the years have claimed seeing Henry who is slender and almost hunchbacked silver haired spirit walking from the kitchen area in the cafe to the doors at the side enterance of the cafe where he is seen staring out over Brown's Lake before he dissapears as quickly as he turns up. On occasion his Wife Edwina's Ghost can be seen sweeping the now closed in Private Front Porch of the Sports Club where the now defunct Members Lounge once was. She has been seen many times by both Staff and the Public... If she spots you she will smile and give you a friendly wave. Staff have over the years been asked by visitors about the friendly old lady who waved to them on the Porch. They were confused until staff saw her themselves. Both Edwina and Husband Henry are harmless ghosts. Edwina is even friendly. But not all the Ghosts at Brown's Lake are.
There is a less than friendly ghost who is often seen at night... One said to be the old Janitor and Caretaker there who died in the late 60's. He will run off anyone that he sees as trouble on the Grounds and is said to run them off weilding a Sharply pointed Rake!! Needless to say they have few trouble makers at the place at night. Another is the Ghost of the Same Caretakers dog... a Large Shepherd type Dog who is said to prowl the grounds at night... And its eyes are said to glow yellow in the dark. It will chase anyone who goes near the old Sports Clinic Building or the Old Baseball Diamond. Many late night venturers have been scared off by a large growling shape with glowing eyes.. Have run off the grounds only to turn around to see what was chasing them to find nothing there but a faint doggy smell.
WARNING: POLICE DO REGULAR NIGHT DRIVE-BY CHECKS. AS PEOPLE OFTEN HAVE BEEN FOUND TRYING TO PROVOKE THE SPIRITS AND CAUSED TROUBLE OVER THE YEARS INCLUDING SMASHING WINDOWS AND STEALING BASKETBALL RINGS. IF YOU ARE SEEN AS BEING THERE FOR ANY TROUBLE THEY COULD ARREST YOU. THEY DONT LIKE GHOST HUNTERS!!
4/ Greenwich Hill Town Hall and Old First Libary Building : Built and Opened Between 1890 - 1895: (STILL IN USE : FULL WORKING BUILDINGS):
Address Listed As: 114 - 116 Arch St , Greenwich,CT.
Between 1895 and 1950 the Town's Libary was on the Ground floor left hand side of the building and the Town Hall and Mayor's Office on the right side with a wide Hall with a Glass Ceiling seperating the Two Wings of the Buildings. The Rear of the Building Houses the Greenwich Historial Society Offices (Since 1920) and a Small Music Hall for Students of the Summer Music Classes Still Run. The Libary was moved to the New Location on West Putnam Avenue in 1950. And the right Side of the Building was left empty for many years until the Greenwich Art Society and War Widows Country Arts and Crafts Association Bought out the right hand side of the building and turned it into a Full Time Local Arts and Crafts Gallery and School. Which has now been fully taken over by the Greenwich Arts Society and is a Full Time Art Gallery. The Rear of the Gallery still Hold Art Classes at night and school holidays for those who want to learn. The Crafts Gallery now resides in Old Church Road at a Former Residence of one of the War Widows who opened the Origional Gallery. Whos home is now a Craft Gallery and Museum for local Craft and Historical Arftifacts to do with Craft.
GHOSTS: Former Mayor Hon. Martin Hayden Grander who was Mayor from about 1912 until 1920 haunts the Front office of the Town Hall known as the MAYOR'S PARLOUR. He is only seen twice a year... On the Date of his Winning his Mayor Role each year (October 15th) and the Date of his Death (21st November). Mayor Grander died at the ripe old age of 89 in 1940. And is buried in a nearby Cemetary. He is easy to spot... As Mayor Grander stood at over 6'7" tall. And is said to be seen on these dates either leaning on the old fireplace ledge or pacing up and down the old Mayor's Parlour reciting what seems to be a speech of some kind under his breath.
Another of the Building's Ghosts is Former Historical Society Founder and Cheif Mr Lindsey Kirby-Walker who died in 1948. He is said to haunt the Historical Society's Small Reading Area and is apparently very helpful. His Ghost tries to assist members of the public looking for information on the towns past. Several People have mentioned the "Kind Old Man" who helped them try to find something that they had been looking around for along time. People working in the Historical Society Offices are now used to his mention. And One new Staff Member metioned the "Nice Well Dressed Old Man" who showed him around the offices and public area's on his first morning working there. when asked to describe the "old Man" the description given fitted that of Mr Kirby-Walker. Seems Mr Kirby-Walker is still very much part of the Towns Historical Interest even in his death. At age 70 in 1948, his wife Wanda is also spotted there since her death in 1952 ,she used to work there filing Papers.
The Arts and Crafts Gallery has Several Ghosts . A group of 8 Women are said to have been seen over the years in the what is now the SCHOOL section of the Gallery dressed in garments from the 1950's. They are said to be seen working on various forms of crafts while sitting at a also Ghostly Large Wooden Table and Ghostly Wooden Chairs! The Table and Chairs that they sit on bear a strong resemblance to those furnishings used in that area of the gallery in the 50's and 60's. The Woman dont speak or acknowlege any members of the public but can be heard chatting amoungst themselves in an odd mixture of conversations. One of the Woman looks to be of American Indian or Part American Indian in Apperance.
Another Ghost is said to be that of 10yr old Amanda Wheatclift the daughter of Gallery former Manager Mr. Garysun Wheatclift. Amanda died as a result of a Car Accident in 1963 . She was run over by a drunk driver outside the Gallery Enterance. While walking to the gallery from the park across the street. She is seen carrying a Doll of some kind and a a Large Book about Dogs. She is often seen skipping along the foyer from the front enterance of the Building to the Office Entrance of the Gallery in the Foyer Hall. She is a Little Blonde girl wearing a Dark Red/Brown dress and Black Shoes. She has been spotted several times over the years by the public and members of the Gallery. And is often heard singing and laughing. She will only approach children around her own age... And will often ask if they want to play with her in the Gallery.
WARNING : DONT ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE TOWN HALL OR MAYOR'S OFFICE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE!! A PHONE CALL WILL DO BUT PLEASE DONT STATE YOUR A GHOST HUNTER!! IF ANYTHING SAY YOU HAVE A INTEREST IN THE BUILDINGS HISTORY! THEY'LL BE HAPPY TO SHOW YOU AROUND THEN. OTHER PARTS OF THE BUILDING ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC DURING OFFICE HOURS. EXCEPT THE MUSIC HALL WHICH IS A PRIOR NOTICE VEIWING ONLY ALSO... ASK AT THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR A VEIWING TIME! DO NOT BRING CAMERA'S INTO THE MAYOR'S OFFICE YOU WILL BE REMOVED!!
The Historical Greenwich : FLAGG MOVIE HOUSE : ( STILL IN PART TIME USE MAINLY FOR ART MOVIES AND SCHOOL HOLIDAY SPECIALS) : Since Greenwich has a New 8 Theatre Movie Multiplex Now THE FLAGG Dosent get as Much Use Now:
Listed Address As : 75-77 Indian Feild Road (West Side of the Road... East Side of the Road is a Large Reserve which one housed the Flagg Family Estate).
The FLAGG THEATRE was built in 1902. After the origional DANCE HALL /THEATRE On the Spot FLAGG HOUSE was Burnt Down in Mysterious Circumstances two years before. Owned by one of Greenwich's First Big Money Families The Flagg Family owned not only the Dance Hall come Rebuilt Theater but also the local Tavern/Public House, The Local Motel and the Mill. By the time the FLAGG THEATRE Was Built the Youngest Flagg Son Ernest had inhertied the family fortune from his parents and one older brother Edward who had by then had passed on. Ernest , along with former Dancer Wife Zelma (Maybe Selma) built the theatre in his Fathers Memory and to honor the town's History of Arts. The Movie House was origionally a Silent Picutre House and still bears the old Ochestra Pit and Stage for Performances for Before and After the Movie.... and a Grand old Music Hall Pipe Organ. When talking Movies started the Music Pit was kept for when the Local Theater Company FLAGG STAGE SOCIETY held their annual Plays they had somewhere to have their musicians play... And still too, to this day the Stage still stands in working order and is still used often for the Local Actors Guild to hold their Plays on. The THEATRE HOUSE Is Magnificent to look at Decked out in Burgandy Velvet , Gold Trim and Black Carpet with Dark Wooden Seats. Even at its age. It still looks frighteningly like a sudden trip back in time.
GHOSTS : Original Theatre Manager Mr Vincent Hugues still makes his rounds of the theatre on Movie Nights and any Plays opening Nights. Hard to miss the Near Dwarf Sized Manager is often seen asking members of the Public if they need help with anything. He was a Kind and Polite man in Life and loved his job. It seems to in the after life he is still doing it once and a while. One experience that stands out since Vincents death is one of interest to many. In the late 1970's a Child by the name of "GRACE" had been taken from her home of her Mother and kidnapped and was hidden. Her Kidnapper and Father (one and the same) was captured the following night when the GHost of Vincent helped recouver his daughter GRACE in the most interesting and unusual way..... He never got to leave town with her as planned after all......The Story goes that the Father known as "AL" had taken "GRACE" to the Hotel at the Back Lot of the Theatre (Owned by Flagg Family too ) in order to hide her till he could drive he to his home that next night. Her mother had taken Grace from her Drunk abuse Father to save her and Grace from futher abuse. But AL couldnt handle being without his child. But during the next day when AL had gone out to get food and supplies from the store while GRACE slept .... Grace awoke alone and grabbed her things and ran out.... Well she ran into the theatre and hid. Hoping that he father wouldnt find her there. But when AL came back he flew into a rage tearing apart the suite and ran out looking for his daughter. When he looked into the theatre lobby he saw her dissapear into the Ticket Office open door. And ran in after her. A Ticket Sales Clerk had seen the goings on yelled out to GRACE who he knew as she went to see movies often if she was ok. She yelled back no and told him about her dad. When the young ticket agent went to grab the phone her father spotting this went to grab the phone out of the sellers hands... When somewhere out of nowhere a Little Man Appeared and Said "You leave that Young Girl alone " and pushed AL backwards where he slid across the floor into one of the pillars in the lobby and was knocked out. The Ticket seller went to say thanks to the little Man who had helped him only to notice he had dissapeared into thin air. When the Local Policeman Arrived to Arrest AL for kidnap and to get GRACE saftly home the Ticket Seller described to the Police what had happened. To have got AL in the Way he was... The Policeman said without a seconds thought... "That'd be Vincent ... He was always helpful."
Needless to say the ticket seller was shocked.
THE THEATRE IS RARELY OPEN NOW...... BUT CAN BE ASKED TO BE SHOWN AT THE HISTORICL SOCIETY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY!!
6/ PHILLIPS HOSTEL : NOW BACKPACKERS HOSTEL : Once Was A Childrens Home : For Wards Of The State:
Located On 227-231 Maple Avenue : Greenwich,CT : Google: PHILLIPS BACKPACKERS :
The Dark Brown Four Floor Biulding resembles from a Short Distance something crossed between a School Building and a Old Appartment Block. But there is something un-nerving about the Dark Squat Looking U Shaped Building for many to it looks to much like an old Prison Cell Block.... Not helped by the Fact that windows that run along the two sides wings windows still bare the bars like a Cell Block from its old Childrens Home Days dosent help the Buildings Friendly Feel one bit either. Built in 1875 as Orphanage and Children's Home for The Mentally and Physically Disabled (The Usual Wards of the State At The Time) ... The Left Wing of the Building was Used to House the Mentally Ill (Not always Children either often Elderly Were also left there to) ... The Front Part of the Building was Offices and a Childrens Hospital and Health Service And the Right Wing of the Building was the Orphanage. At the Back of the Building (Now Knocked Down ) was a Special Needs School and the City's FIRST Morgue!! The Court Yard behind the U shaped building was used for sports, a play area and often a Garden to grow various Fruits and vegtables for the Homes and Hospital.
From 1875 - up until 1940 the Left Side of the Building was Used to House these Said Disabled People. Until a Fire in the Left Wing killed 25 Children, 4 Nurses on Duty and a Doctor who was seeing Patients. Because of the Prison like Doors between area's and keys for one area to open but not another etc. When the Fire broke out the people trapped in that section of the Building had no-where to go because the only ones with the keys to get in or out were trapped behind a wall of fire. After the Fire the Children with Disability;s were moved to the new Facilities Built in near by Port Chester,CT. Where a whole new specialized center for the Disabled had been built. Which would have been taking most of the patients from Phillips soon anyway as Phillips had been over loaded with patients for a long time . After the Left wing was repaired the Mogue moved into the Basement of the left wing when the old Morgue was torn down due to Flood Damage when Plumbing had problems. The bottom two floors became the Hospitals first Full Sized 4 Operating and Recouvery Rooms. (They used to use the Hospital Wings Basement previously as a Theatre and also a Medical Students Study Area. The Top Floor of the Left wing was turned into Students Sleeping Quarters for the Medical Students studying at the Hospital. And a Kitchen and Lounge for the Students too.
The Childrens Hospital And Orphange stayed in the Building up until 1944. When the new Children's Wing was Built at the Main Hospital in Greenwich due to a need for more room. The Theatre's stayed open for Medical Students to Study up until 1946 when they ran out of funding and went back to working just out of the Hospital. The Orphanage was closed down in 1945 when the Local Politicians Wife a Mrs Amy Classet (Sp?) visited the Orphange to assess its need for the next years funding.... And wrote that the building should be condemend. As she had never seen a place in such a disgusting state still be put into use. Little had been done to improve the interior since it had opened .... And they didnt even have hot running water in the wing!! And most of the time had no Electricity either! After further investigations the local Politicians petitioned to have the whole place shut down.... And in September 1945 the whole Orphanage was moved from the Maple Road site to its new home in Belle Haven,CT where it resided until shut down in the late 1960's .
NEW LEASE ON LIFE: 1948 - 1990 :
]After the WWII a Local Well to Do family called March-Angus bought out the whole building and restored the insides and redid the whole outside cleaning and put on a new roof. With intent to the now rather nicer cleaner looking building into an appartment Block for new Post-War families. Due to Funds only the Front and the Right wing were turned into 2 Bedroom Appartments. Soon after the Left Wing was sold off to a Millner Company which used the Buildings Three Floors to in which to make a Hat Making Factory. The Hat Factory lasted until 1960. When the March-Angus people finally having the money bought the failing hat factory out and Built in the Rest of the Builidng in 1 Bedroom Appartments. which it remained as up until the buildings second death as a Fire Gutted most of the Front Part of the Building in an electrical fire in 1990. And the rest of it was condemened due to its poor state. But it want to be the builinds end .... Not by a long shot.... Oh no... Old buildings dont die so easy.
COME 1998 : EIGHT YEARS EMPTY AND DEAD:
Newly Arrived and recent American Citizenshipped Polish Born Clostzer Family found the Building of some interest to them . Oistin and Vorsila (The Husband and Wife ) enquired about the odd looking boarded up building just three blocks from their new home with the local concil. And after being given the history of the place. Their interest grew. And after talking it over. They petitioned to have the builiding taken off the condemen list if the would resore it and have it fully renovated. With the intention of turining it into a Backpackers-Youth Hostel. And Part of it as a Long Tern Stay Rental Rooms. The Council Agreed pending the proper restoration and problems of the building were taken care of and done to building code. They would have it for what they wished. Two years of work and on Christmas Eve 2000....... THE PHILLIPS BACKPACKERS HOSTEL AND ROOMING HOUSE as its fully registered name is.........Opened to a First Months Full House Booking.
ITS BEEN BUSY EVER SINCE!!.... You can rent your own room. Share with 2 or 3 or 4 People... or even a 7 Person Bunk Hall for you and your Pals if your interested. And it has a indoor Gym , SPA and Sauna these days to, And a Inground Pool (Where the Old School/Morgue Used to be) .... That is a classed indoor undercover pool for all seasons. And you get your own Bathroom with each room. And share a Kitchen on each floor. Ive checked the place out after hearing about its hauntings.... And it looks quite nice. Very Modern and Clean. And the Family who run it are very nice. They are happy to have you look around....... AND THEY LOVE GHOST HUNTERS!! AS VORSILA IS A BIT OF A GHOST HUNTER HERSELF!! THEY WILL HAPPILY SHOW YOU AROUND!![/FONT]
THE PLACE HAS MANY GHOSTS WITH ITS LONG HISTORY : HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE SIGHTED GHOSTS FROM OVER THE YEARS.
1/ Several Sightings of the Ghost of the Doctor Who Died in the Fire in the Left wing of the Building where the Gym is now Located. Several Patrons have noticed a Tall Grey haired man in a Doctors type White Coat reading notes from a Clip Board in the area of the Gym's Changing room enterance... A Woman looking for the Bathroom next to there on her frist trip to the Gym during her stay at the hostel. Approached the White Coat Clad figure thinking he was a cleaner or something to ask him where the Bathroom was ... She said he looked up at her with the sad look on his face and pointed back to the rooms behind him... She walked past him to find the needed bathroom. Turned around to thank him as she had forgotten to to see he had totally vanished out of sight and there was nowhere for him to go without being noticed ir heard.... He had just vanished!. Other People have seen him walking up the stairs from the Gym area to the old Student Dorm area before dissapearing into a locked cleaners room . He walked right through the Door!
2/ Several Sightings of Disabled (Mentally and Phsically) Children in the Left Wing have been spotted . Over the years there not just in the fire over 40 other children died from various problems . Mostly from Birth Defects. Or common illness that they had no funding to cure at the time.
One of the Most seen is a Girl of about 9 or 10yrs old who seems to have Down's Syndrome or something similar... She is seen standing on the landing near the old Nursing Station now Health Center /Gym /Sauna/Spa Center Office. Holding onto the stair rail with one hand and a toy Dog with the other. She just stands there and watching people walking by and often smiles at them. Most people usually think she's just one of the holiday makers kids and pay no attention to her. But its the Children it seems she likes the Most when they visit. She will often try to play with them. But she never talks or does more than follow the kids around and smile when they look at her.
Another of the Sightings is that of a Boy in a wheelchair who seems to have a very disfigured face. Either by the fire of by Birth its unknown . But he is seen with his back to the glass door leading to the Balcony on to the Roof Garden Stairs . He just looks at everyone. Doesnt move at all. But is a Very frighteneing sight apparently ... It seems apparently half his face looks like its melted. And he only has one very milky looking white eye. One lady left the room screaming after she saw him. And threathened to call the police asking why anyone with a child like that would leave him alone. Noone knew what she was talking about as no child staying there at the time fit the womans discription of this boy. It wasnt until 2 staff members who were cleaning the room spotted the boy one night as they tidyded the room after the last of the patrons had left for the day. The sight of him had one of them faint and the other refuse to work in the room again!
Other Less Noticed Spirits have included ... Two girls of about 11 and 10 who both sit apart on the floor and roll a old slightly flat large ball between them. One of the girls has only 1 full leg and a partly formed twisted leg on the other side. And the other girl is wearing very old style braces on her legs. Neither pay anyone attention. But when approached will suddenly dissapear.
Another is of a Boy in a Blue Sailor Type Suit who is clearly Blind (You can tell from his eyes). He is often seen walking up and down the various halls in the area with his hands feeling along the walls as he goes.... One lady stopped to ask if he needed help to get anywhere ... and the boy just shook his head and kept on moving.
Other Times a Group of children have been seen playing hopscotch on the balcony at the rear of the Gym room. A Patron working out when it was raining outside ... Spotted the children out playing. Thinking that they were visitors children he should call them in cause they'd get wet. Walked past watching them playing and laughing reminded him of his own children now grown up... But when he went to the doors and opened them up and looked outside........There were NO CHILDREN ON THE BALCONY!! And No Sign of any having been there for a while or any sign of the hopscotch grid he'd seen drawn on the ground either. Shocked he shut the doors and walked back to get his stuf to leave and as he did so took a quick look out the window again........To see the Children BACK OUT THERE PLAYING!!
3/ A Secratary in the Old Hospital Wing is seen Typing on a old style Typwriter in the Now Caretakers Office which once was the Head Doctors Office. She sits at a equally Ghostly Desk on a Equally Ghostly Chair and types of a Ghostly Typewriter. She is dressed from the stlye of the early 1930's and noone knows who she is. She pays no attention to anyone around her . And the caretaker has got so used to seeing her he say hello to her when he does.......Not that she ever replys.
4/ Two Nurses are seen in the Old Staff Canteen now the Main Guest Diner . Dressed in Nursing Clothing of the early 1900's. Long Dresses and Head Covers. They are seen drinking cups of tea and eating what looks like sandwiches. At a table in the far corner of the Diner. They only talk amongst themselves and dont pay any attention to the living.
5/ Two Negro Cleaning Women in old style Cleaners Clothes or about 1900 also have been seen working in the Hospital Wing Lobby. One scrubs the Floors on her knees and the other is seen dusting and cleaning the Picture frames on the walls. The one scrubbing will often ask passers by if they know the time... The other cleaner will often say "Careful the Floor is Wet " to anyone walking close by.
6/ In the Orphanage Wing of the Hospital.. The Origional Orphanage Caretaker Mrs Klarise George who died in 1911 is seen wandering around the Second Floor of the Buliding checking the room doors of the Hostel. She will walk past and check the knobs. She wont open the doors. But is often heard politely knocking on the doors as she goes by... If noone answers she moves on. If anyone does answer she is said to politely ask if everything is ok.. Before moving on. One man who's room she knocked on opened the door thinking it was his friend who had the next room coming to see him as they were going to go out. When he answered it ... The old Caretaker Woman was there and he said "She looked at me kind of strange .. Like what are you doing here sort of look" and I said to her "I think you have the wrong room Ma'm" and she quickly appologised and walked away he looked out to see where she was going to and she had completly dissapeared!!. And there is no way a living person could have done that without being noticed or heard (like a door opened and shut or something) but no nothing and she wasnt anywhere to be seen. Thankfully the guy wasnt freaked out. He half expected a ghost or two in a old place like this he had said. He just didnt think he'd actually meet up with one so close.
7/ Another Ghost in the Orphanage wing is one that is very well known amoungst guests now. The Spirit only known as "ANNIE" is a friendly one indeed. When people are sleeping in their beds she comes in a TUCKS THEM IN !! And is often felt kissing them on the Cheek Goodnight. One woman staying there alone on her first night got the shock of her life when she felt someone tucking her in and kissing her goodnight at about 2 am one morning. She opened her eyes quickly thinking someone had got lost and was in the wrong room. And saw a very pale slender petite woman in her late 50's smiling at her next to her bed. When she questioned the womans presence. The Woman Just said " Goodnight Dear" and Dissapeared right before her eyes. Needless to say the woman went to the Caretaker of the Hostel first thing the nest morning and asked what was going on with this woman. And was told ; "Oh thats Just ANNIE.... She's our friendly ghost who makes sure everyones ok at night." The woman thought it odd. But decided to stay on to see if "ANNIE" came back. And she did everynight the woman was there at the Hostel "ANNIE" Tucked her in and Kissed her Goodnight. Neeedless to say now when the Woman visits Greenwich she insists on staying at the Hostel... Where even the Ghosts are Nice.